• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Just wanted to introduce myself

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Hi, my name is Chris, I just joined the forum. My hometown is San Francisco, but I'm going to school in Georgia. Like everyone here, I love monitors. I want to get some bigger ones in the future, probably V. Varius, but with all the travel, it doesn't make sense. Anyway, I am more than satisfied with Edgar, my rudicollis. He is the best pet I've ever owned:

Edgar3.jpg

Edgar2.jpg

Edgar1.jpg

I just built him a new cage. It's 4x2x2. Some would argue that that's sufficient considering that he's under 2 ft, but at home I have him in a 5x3x6 so I really feel sorry for him in there. I'm moving soon though, and I don't want to build anything I can't fit into my car. When I move into my new apartment, he's getting a 8x4x6n. Probably overkill for a juvi, but who cares?!

Here's the cage i hate:

Iguanacage3.jpg

Iguanacage1.jpg

Iguanacage2.jpg

Oh, and if anyone like the Ctenosaura genus, I just picked up this little champion:
Pectinata4.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

-Chris

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the site Chris!! You have some nice looking animals. I am going to get me some of them Bananas this year I hope.

Glad you came and joined us!!

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Thanks Bobby!

I'm sure you know all about them, but they are just great animals. The vendor sent me a picture of a brown baby, and I open the box and he's yellow! I know he'll just get better with time. They are really calm animals. I think they have good potential as pets.

Honestly, the 6 ft green iguana thing is ridiculous, we need to find a new standard, even though it's hard to combat the price of bulk imported animals.

It's so nice to see this fresh interest in the sadly overlooked Ctenosaura genus. My next project is a trio of Melanosterna, but I want to make sure I will be able to set up incubators and so forth. That species is in serious trouble. I know they're a little more skittish than pectinata, but they're so beautiful. Hopefully serious breeders will take interest and save an endangered animal that was ignored by so many.

-Chris

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Chris, glad you made it over here. Lots of nice folks with various interests.

Melanosterna, huh? Are you prepared to shell out a good chunk of change and be patient on a waiting list for a while? LOL I had the opportunity to acquire melanosterna this past fall but the person holding the 4 hatchlings accidently killed them by placing them on calci-sand. For now I'll be busy growing up the half dozen palearis hatchlings that I got last fall.

palearis1.JPG

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Are you prepared to shell out a good chunk of change and be patient on a waiting list for a while?
Yeah, I know I need like 1500 dollars, which is why I'm not getting them now. It would be arrogant and foolish of me to get a trio of rare animals and not be set up to breed them properly. I know a guy who's breeding them and we've been in close conversation. I just can't get on a list for eggs that may or may not exist. This is a project at least 1 year away. I'm not in any rush.

I just feel like, because of their expense and rarity a bunch of idiots are gonna go out and buy males as showpieces with no intent on breeding :evil: I want to give it a shot.

Somehow you manage to get everything I've ever wanted Jif. Oh well, I still have Edgar to show off :-D

-Chris

dicy

5 Year Member
nice rudi but may i ask why u use a viv that opens from the top and how the lil bugger reackts to that ? annyway good looking rudi

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I don't like it at all. Instead of seeing him face to face, I'm opening his cage and towering over him. It was originally going to be a snake cage, but I changed my mind and put him in there instead. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Andrzej

5 Year Member
Welcome, im new as well so it should be fun, im most likely to spent most of my time here in the monitor fourm, and the snake fourm.......

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Andrzej said:
Welcome, im new as well so it should be fun, im most likely to spent most of my time here in the monitor fourm, and the snake fourm.......

lol....a little late....he joined almost 3 months ago XD

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
XD No problem. If you need to ask any questions about the site, feel free to ask. We're all here to help (especially the Staff and Mods.)

If you have a question about tegus, Bobby is one of the best people you could ask, althuogh there are many people on here who know alot about tegus.

I believe that we are all here for one or all of three reasons:

To help others
To Learn about tegus (and other reptiles)
To meet people who share your interest in reptiles of all kinds

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu