• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Its not a reptile but... *warning... a little graphic* DUW

nat

5 Year Member
I know an owl isn't a herp but I thought this forum would be the most appropriate with its emphasis on wildlife. I was driving home from school and found an owl in the road. Initially it was stunned (I think) and I pulled over to collect it since I have worked with rehabing owls in the past. Anyways, it was a busy road and by the time I managed to pull over and get to the bird someone ran over it.

None the less, I couldn't just leave it there. I thought I would share some of the photos since one rarely gets to get up close and personal which such a marvelous wild creature. I am in love with the patterns on the feathers and the dagger like claws. I am sad that it died but grateful for the experience none the less. Its a barred owl, which is a larger species of owl known for predating on other owls and predatory birds... so its a formidable opponent in the wildlife kingdom. I didn't take any pictures of the face / beak since it was fairly smashed up.

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg
DSCF0005.jpg
DSCF0013-1.jpg
DSCF0008.jpg
DSCF0001.jpg
DSCF0009.jpg
DSCF0014-1.jpg

COWHER

5 Year Member
thats sad. but it is a awesome creature and man look at those claws!!!! that was a good idea to share with us it keeps us compassionate with nature

nat

5 Year Member
yes indeed. But in a strange and wonderful way it started a chain of reactions that resulted in something extremely positive so at least the death wasn't in vain.

dorton

5 Year Member
Thats sad. Are you going to preserve the wings, and feet. I did that a long time ago, and donated the collected stuff to a local elementary school science dept.

nat

5 Year Member
dorton - yes we are. I am actually a part of a local native american based religious group and the arrival of an owl in one's life is a fairly significant omen that my elders want to explore. They are teaching me at the moment of how to respect the body and spirit of the owl and the significance of certain parts. Its been a very very interesting experience all around as I am currently also learning how to preserve the various body parts.

COWHER

5 Year Member
nat said:
dorton - yes we are. I am actually a part of a local native american based religious group and the arrival of an owl in one's life is a fairly significant omen that my elders want to explore. They are teaching me at the moment of how to respect the body and spirit of the owl and the significance of certain parts. Its been a very very interesting experience all around as I am currently also learning how to preserve the various body parts.
what tribe? I'm Blackfoot and Mohican I'm about 1/3 Native.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
i've seen many owls in the wild, and always wonder, how can such animal end up in a road like that? anyways, from my stupid thoughts, i've learned to feel for such animals, and take them in whenever they need it, good for you, even though it was dead

nat

5 Year Member
COWHER said:
nat said:
what tribe? I'm Blackfoot and Mohican I'm about 1/3 Native.

I wouldn't say that the teachings subscribe to any particular specific tribe but there is a very large Haida influence as that tribe is native to the island. I myself have no native american blood in me so to speak... I am 1/2 scottish, 1/4 polish and 1/4 roma... aka gypsy.

Beazer

5 Year Member
Ive only ever found one owl dead our herping. Ive seen a looot of owls. Pretty sad stuff. Ive had a few fly infront of my window while driving but havent hit any. I mostly see vultures DOR but every life is valued the same. Saddest thing Ive seen was a falcon in a bush during dove season with its wings spread and bloody. I am pretty sure somebody shot it. I think the only bird I've hit out herping was a night hawk (I believe they are also called night jars?). They are car magnets it seems. Love those little guys.

-Jon DeLong

nat

5 Year Member
there was nothing dead on the road... but one reason a lot of predator birds are "car magnets" are due to either road kill or prey items near the roads. There are always rabbits on the road in my town so its highly possible that it had swooped in to try to catch something.

Beazer - that is upsetting about the falcon. Last year we had a huge problem with people shooting bald eagles for the black market. It makes me so angry :(

nat

5 Year Member
sorry! forgot to respond

its not that they symbolize anything in particular but different kinds of strengths and powers are associated with different body parts. For instance, the top part of the wings where the longest flight feathers are, is considered to hold really strong power that needs to be used very carefully as you can overdo it per se and cause more harm then good if you do not use it wiseley. The tail feathers have a balancing power to them while the smaller breast feathers, etc are seem to have a more healing power to them. Feet are considered extremeley powerful to and are often used on staffs or meditation wands for inner journeys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980