• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is it just a myth?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes,.. I don't think there's enough or they haven't been kept in captivity long enough to say for sure that they only get 3 - 3.5' which is what some people say. It's just an average since they all range is size and length. There will always be some smaller and larger than others. No matter what kind of animal you have.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ehh I guess you could say its a myth. I would think it to be more of a generalization. Theres a member on the forum whos blue is about the same size as his black and white. As bubblz said, its just an average some can be monster sized some can be petite. Same thing for female tegus, they usually stay smaller than males but some girls end up being big ladies.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
some do and some dont. Its like beagles some stay in the AKC range of 15 to 30lbs and in the same litter you can get a 60lb beagle.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Not sure if its a myth or not,but from things i read and seen most average around 3-3.5ft and few past that marker.

I have a few questions/statements,that hopefully someone can clarify,

Was the size of blue's based on the first 6-12 orginal blue's? If so i say thats pretty solid facts.

Wasn't it thought that blues were ounce ,Tupinambis teguixin or a total different tegu species,because of where they were found,size and the fact they are born without the green heads like T.teguixin ,but thought to be T.merianae,because of scalation? When was it proven that they are T.merianae? Could some one give me or point me toward's the answer.

I know the second question does not go with the OP post to much,but i am sure this would probably help clarify. I'm no tegu expert (far from it) so please,don't take my head off if my info is not correct.

Thanks.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Size of the blue was based on just a few samples mainly from the founder animals. I'm sure most blues now adays have some black and white in them just for good messure, but even those that look pure blue seem to get a large size.

As for the second no one really knows where they are suppose to be from. Resent pictures from the wilds of brazil seems to put the blue from that range. In that case its thought the animals were smuggled out of Brazil and exported from Columbia as columbian tegus which is why they were thought to be of that speices. Now its thought that they are sub of the arg blakc and white. Makes more scnese blues can cross with black and whites as can red (which is a close cousin) but none of these can cross with a columbian.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Redman said:
Is it just a myth that blues stay small?

I do not think it is a myth... I think it is the truth....

From what I've seen "the average" adult male Blue Tegu is slightly smaller than "the average" adule male B&W Tegu... I've seen the same consistency in females...

Sure there are "smaller than average" B&Ws as well as "larger than average" Blues... but just because a few that break the norm, doesn't mean you throw the norm out the window.......

...though I do not think the size differnece is significant...

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
chelvis said:
Size of the blue was based on just a few samples mainly from the founder animals. I'm sure most blues now adays have some black and white in them just for good messure, but even those that look pure blue seem to get a large size.

As for the second no one really knows where they are suppose to be from. Resent pictures from the wilds of brazil seems to put the blue from that range. In that case its thought the animals were smuggled out of Brazil and exported from Columbia as columbian tegus which is why they were thought to be of that speices. Now its thought that they are sub of the arg blakc and white. Makes more scnese blues can cross with black and whites as can red (which is a close cousin) but none of these can cross with a columbian.

Ahhh,thanks,i wish there was more info on blue's.

Redman

5 Year Member
Well the reason I asked is that I plan on getting a hatchling Blue, either this Christmas or next May 6th, my 14th, it kinda sucks being 12. But I was hoping to get a male, since they don't get that large. Yep I've done so much research. I've even planned on an underbed enclosure. So I really would like a 3.5 foot high white male in the future once it matures. What a beautiful dream.

Chuey

5 Year Member
I cant say but ours is about 5 feet long from tail to snout and 15 pounds of goodness gracious! Either way I think all teegies rock~!

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Chuey said:
I cant say but ours is about 5 feet long from tail to snout and 15 pounds of goodness gracious! Either way I think all teegies rock~!

Insane, sounds like a big blue, i never read of one getting that big. I guess this where the upper hand comes in on on keeping them rather than just researching....

Do you have any pics of of next to like measuring tape? Its okay if you don't just curious...

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Wow 5ft darn i had alot of tegus,never a 5ft tegu, 49 '' being the largest a argentine male like 8 years ago.But thats a big blue and could you post pictures of it,maybe it is a hybrid or just a large blue never know though.:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029