• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Intresting lighting info for my rhino

RobK.

When i had only three basking levels inclueding the floor the only time my Rhino would go under the Mega Raw was when he was in the shade of a log i HAD on the second level on the left . It was 16'' below the mega ray and 100-120 MW of UVB .he could have climbed on the log and got 150+ MW of uvb but never did .he avoided that spot like a plague. SO I tried something , i added another basking rock , the one he is sitting on and raised it up under 100 watt SolarGlo at 80 MW of UVB so he has 4 levels including the floor for heat and UVB . He now will stay under the solar glow for a while then move to the right top rock under the 10,0 48'' zoo-med repi-sun tube and 50 watt halogen bulb . He never stayed under the mega ray at any level, only under the log in the shade . so i removed the mega and put it back in the box . :huh:

roninewshelfe.jpg

RobK.

Maro1 said:
So Rob what are you using now? Whats your light setup?

I have the 100 watt solar glo on the left , he is sitting under . then to the right you can see the 50 watt halogen bulb . Then in front of that running down the middle there are two 48'' tubes , one is a 10.o repti-sun putting out 55 -80 MW of UVB depending if he is setting or laying and the other is a 5000k full spectrum. The 10.0 covers the whole cage with UVB

teguboy77 said:
Maybe to much uvb for him?Mine like the megaray at 20'' for some reason.

his cage is only 22'' tall , so i guess i could have put the mega ray on a rock on the floor . The last two mega rays he's avoided , but they were both within 12 - 18 ''.

Maro1

How long do the repti sun tubes last putting out good UVB? I have never used them but am thinking about trying them.

Maro1

teguboy77

5 Year Member
RobK. said:
Maro1 said:
So Rob what are you using now? Whats your light setup?

I have the 100 watt solar glo on the left , he is sitting under . then to the right you can see the 50 watt halogen bulb . Then in front of that running down the middle there are two 48'' tubes , one is a 10.o repti-sun putting out 55 -80 MW of UVB depending if he is setting or laying and the other is a 5000k full spectrum. The 10.0 covers the whole cage with UVB

teguboy77 said:
Maybe to much uvb for him?Mine like the megaray at 20'' for some reason.

his cage is only 22'' tall , so i guess i could have put the mega ray on a rock on the floor . The last two mega rays he's avoided , but they were both within 12 - 18 ''.

Well i will only use megaray unless they stop making them,check your uvb reading with solar glow at 20'' and then check them at 20'' with the megaray.I'm not saying the more UVB output is better but i know at 22'' my megaray put out around 117 mw and when i used solar glow in the past i was getting like 11 mw with sloar glow at 22''.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Could this be a temperature issue and have nothing to do with UVB? What were the temps with the MegaRay vs the SolarGlo?

teguboy77

5 Year Member
james.w said:
Could this be a temperature issue and have nothing to do with UVB? What were the temps with the MegaRay vs the SolarGlo?

I guess it could be i guess rob will answer that,if he has the bulbs at the same height i and there the same watt i dont see a big difference in temps,as the bulb use the same amount of energy.

RobK.

Maro1 said:
How long do the repti sun tubes last putting out good UVB? I have never used them but am thinking about trying them.

Maro1

I have had the one 10.0 in his cage since April of last year and it has not dropped one bit of UVB . They last better than ANY MVB i have bought and i have tried them all . I have 3 brands setting in his room right now . I also have a spare of each , the zoo-med 10.0 tube and the 5000K tube . I just did another video of his cage since i added another basking level . I check his bulb daily with my 6,2 solar meter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrM0Xrb865g&feature=youtu.be

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I like the reptisun 10.0 as well,but ill stick with megaray as i too used and bought every UVB bulb there is out there just about,plus with the megaray i use less bulbs and have great results great basking temps.Also i check my bulbs with a solarmeter.

Khoilie

What are your temperatures at? In that photo it looks like his head is only a few inches from the light. It might be way too hot for him which is why he doesn't like some spots or will only bask in the shade. I'm willing to bet it has nothing to do with what brands your using. I bet your temperature read outs are thru the roof.

Cheers

RobK.

the solar glo is way closer than the Mega ray was . less uvb but more heat . with the maga ray he would not even set under it where it was 20'' +/- 90 deg . yet the solar glow is around 105-110 and he will set the for about a hour . I don't mind using more than one bulbs being i can buy most of them all local and return them if they go bad . The 10.0 i buy in salt lake 1 1/2 hours south. I go to cabela's once a month with friends and i can hit the reptile store on the way backfor the 10.0 . Cabela's is 2 hours south . I am little OCD and check the temps and UVB almost daily.with a solar meter and heat gun .:rolleyes:

frost

1,000+ Post Club
do you have any pics of the whole cage? i would like to see your enclosures.=]

RobK.

Maro1 said:
Thanks Rob,

What do you think stopped the runny nose?

Maro1

Nice informative Video!

not sure , BUT as long as i leave his cage temp in the 81-85 ( not counting basking areas ) he's been fine and no runny nose at all . I have change so many things since he was sick, not sure if one thing did the trick . I do know that if he eats a '' LOT '' of watercress he get a LITTLE runny nose

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029