• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Intermediate Extreme Giant Enclosure

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Well Beauregard has grown very quickly and in fact IMO, pretty much grew out of the 20g long aquarium I had him in for the past month.

So, I decided he needed an upgrade. I'm glad I don't make money being a carpenter as this enclosure took wayyyyyy too long to make. :mrgreen:

I used this design: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=688&p=8391&hilit=particle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=59&t=688&p=8391&hilit=particle</a><!-- l --> as my basis, with a few modifications, as you'll see.

I decided to go with a plexiglass door on the left side of the enclosure with basking set up visible. Used flagstone from H.D. for this. The right side is hidden from view to give my tegu privacy.

UVB light strip, 10.0, 20 watt from petsmart, fixture from Walmart, 25".

150 watt infrared lamp for basking has temps exactly where I want them 105-110 mark.

The cage is roughly 4 and 1/2' long plus an inch (55") by 25" wide.

Interior was painted liberally with exterior latex, gray oops paint from H.D.

All seams were caulked and sealed.

For the exterior I decided to finish it off with a product called "FRP" from H.D.
It is a finished fiberglass product.

The door has a locking hasp.

His hide is a rubbermade trash can, I cut to fit.

He loves his new cage, what can I say!

Pictures: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/July292009?authkey=Gv1sRgCJK9nIWx3evmuwE#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalu ... Wx3evmuwE#</a><!-- m -->

Cost? Alot!!! :rant

Oh, I liked Nick Boudin's idea for substrate it's a mix of cypress mulch, top soil, cocofiber, and sphagnum moss.

...Jefroka

31drew31

5 Year Member
Looks real good man. My only concern is make sure that basking rock is secure. Dont want him sitting under it and something bumps the cage and you have a tegu pancake.

Jer723

5 Year Member
31drew31 said:
Looks real good man. My only concern is make sure that basking rock is secure. Dont want him sitting under it and something bumps the cage and you have a tegu pancake.

same here. watch that rock, are you sure its 100% secure? and good job. what are you feeding that tegu? STEROIDS!!! :lol: he looks great man. keep up the good work. :-D

Beasty

5 Year Member
31drew31 said:
Can't agree more. That last photo with him under the rock made me cringe.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
31drew31 said:

You guys are very observant! I knew I would get some comments about the rock set up but rest assured it is very stable. These flagstones are very heavy and the way the set up is positioned it cannot move.

Thanks for your concerns folks. Glad y'all like the set up, so does Beauregard.

...Jefroka

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu