• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Interesting Behaviors....(opinions?)

Member1421

I leave early for my job and I finally got my wife to a point where she is now comfortable taking Ted out of his enclosure in the morning to go to the bathroom. I recently converted a spare closet into a sort of jungle gym/bathroom where I lay out a piece of brown paper I cut fresh from a roll every day. Since a baby he has learned pretty well that paper is bathroom and that continues to get better as time goes on. This past month my tegu wakes up relatively early, but also goes to bed early, oftentimes before 11 a.m. He does, however, eat every day and go to the bathroom regularly, so I didn't really think brumation was a thing. He also has been shedding frequently, very cleanly. He is still in a 4x2 that he is generally outgrowing, though it is not crazy as I have redesigned his enclosure with multiple levels which gave him more space than he had in the past.

Anyhow, I came home from work today and it looked like a tornado in there, sand/substrate/water ALL OVER the place, wet everywhere from the flopping in his water and he was up against the glass clawing at it like he was about to be eaten by a bear. The glass was barely see through as he had gotten so much mud and sand on it that it really made me wonder what the heck he was doing. He didn't eat a lot of his food today, which is unusual, and so I took him out to let him get whatever the hell it was he had going on in his mind out of him. I put him on the floor to let him roam the kitchen a bit and he ran away faster than I have seen him run, though I still went by him and picked him up, largely pretending nothing was fooling me. I put him on my shoulder, pet him, played with his tail like I often do, and rubbed his mini jowls like any other day. Aside from wanting to be held, I figured today was the first day he might decide to eat my finger - didn't happen.

Anyway, after a bit of roaming and attempts at running away from me on tile, I put him back in his closet where he proceeded to bury himself in a clean pair of coveralls I keep at the top of his jungle gym to explore. He chose the sleeve, which gave me time to remodel the main hide/burrow side I haven't had time to remodel since he is always sleeping when I get home. With him pouting in the closet I spent a good hour laying out patio bricks and building a nice large spot for him to sleep in and really create more space for a few more months - I hope. When I went to fish him out of the sleeve he was obviously comfortable and kept spinning around to the other side playing his usual hiding in clothes games. I figured when I put him back he would immediately go to sleep due to it being way past his bedtime...nope. He laid out basking until 3pm and took several large pieces of fish from tongs like the little baby he is.

Having said that, has anybody experienced anything random like this? Initially I thought guberty was kicking in, but there was no type of aggression whatsoever. He and I have a good relationship at this point and my thought is that perhaps it is guberty and he just knows I am not one to put up with his **** so his first attempt didn't work. Add onto that that his little dirty enclosure trick only netted him an even sweeter pad a while later. Just thought I'd share and add to the discussion.

Happy New Year, everybody.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Lol - great story. I love Tegus. If there's one consistency in Tegus, it's that there's nothing (almost) consistent. Honestly, it does sound like typical behavior of a juvenile that's decided he owns the place, and he has some demands. How your guy is showing it, is different than others, which is actually typical. Make sense? :rolleyes:

Skeep

5 Year Member
Especially when she was younger, my tegu would make a huge mess of her enclosure if she was trying to get out of it. Often it's not clear why she wanted out, usually it was to explore or find somewhere else to sleep when her enclosure wasn't good enough for her. Soon enough she learned how to break out so she could sleep in my bed instead of her own hide; I'd come home and every day there'd be a tegu sized lump under the covers and the enclosure door open / pushed halfway off the tracks.

Now that she's older, she seems to have settled down, especially because she knows she can come out of her cage whenever she wants really. But once in a while she still gets really hyperactive in the afternoon and will tear apart her cage to escape just so she can go explore around the house for 20 minutes!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980