• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Increasing interest in Ctenosaurs

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I have noticed over the last couple of years an increased interest in the Spinytail Iguanas in the pet trade. There have always been some similis around but not much interest in them because of their aggressive nature. Lately I've been seeing a few captive bred pectinata offered for sale and some conspicuosa and melanosterna, although those are few and far between. I'm just happy to see some interest in captive breeding these awesome lizards. I have kept several species for about 10 years now and have really enjoyed them.

Banana pectinata and bakeri
30216spinyszoo.jpg

Quinquecarinata
30216P1010086.JPG

Male similis (blue phase), Ctolstoy
485P3121691.JPG

Conspicuosa
485P2241466.JPG

How can you not like these guys? There is so much diversity in color, pattern, and personality.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
WOW Jane you have some stunning animals. I am never disappointed after opening one of your threads!! I have always liked the Similis and more so the Conspicuosa but have not yet had the pleasure of owning any. One day....one day

Is that a pair of Conspicuosa??? :) Any breeding?

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
I think they, along with cyclura, are becoming more popular because of the fall in interest in simple iguana iguana. Any "true" iguana owner knows how much of a handful they can be, and how manipulated their species is in the pet trade. That being said, people who are truly interested in iguanids, are searching for HighEnd rare iguanas for captives because of their rarity. If you have to work that hard for a pet, it might as well be something that isn't farmed out by the hundreds of thousands, that way you feel responsible for the well-being of an iguana, with the air, that it's not a common iguana, and won't end up 3 months old in a dumpster of a 10 year old.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Hi Jif!!!

Wow, you're animals all look unhealthy and abused. I think you should surrender all of you Ctenosaura to me ;) (J/K)

Wow, I had no idea you had bakeri! What a handsome devil. Care to send me a PM and let me know where you got him at?

How's that similis? Is he tolerant of you or something. I'd be scared to let him hand out on the porch, boy those buggers can run!

Oh yeah, I will second your statement. Ctenosaura is my favorite genus next to varanus--cyclura is a mighty close third.

-Chris

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Hi Chris. The beautiful similis male pictured passed away last year. He was about 19 years old and a wonderful animal. He used to participate in our educational exhibits and was one of my very favorite lizards. I miss him alot. I have a fairly docile female similis here that we are priming to take his place at exhibits.

The bakeri is truly a beautiful species and can become quite docile also, almost as calm as the pectinata. I cannot disclose where he came from but he is in my possession under a contract. My particular animal was one that was captive bred in Germany by Gunther Koehler and then shipped to the US several years ago as part of a group. He served his purpose as a breeder and then became a surplus male. I've had him for about a year and a half.

Good luck with your little pect boy. I'm attending the NARBC show in Texas later this month and that will be about the only thing that will tempt me. I passed on one in Tinley Park last October and I regret it now. My boy is getting a little old and will be retiring soon so I need another to integrate into our educational program.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980