• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Important question

Brocey

Hi I have a young tegu that's acting a little strange. He moves his back legs in a manner that makes me fear he has MBD. What am I doing wrong? (He's in a 4x2x2 vision cage with a 100w powersun. I feed him a mix that I make consisting of ground turkey, chicken hearts, blueberries, strawberries, and reptivite)

Roadkill

5 Year Member
The devil is in the details.

What are the proportions you give him? What body temperature is your tegu able to achieve? Given a 100W Powersun in a Vision cage (ie. screen between the tegu and the bulb) there's a good chance your tegu is not receiving much UVB.

Brocey

How do I change that? There is only one place for a lamp. Should I just buy a higher wattage bulb? And recently I ordered a pound of ground whole salmon (just to try it). Will this provide enough calcium? Or should I get whole turkey instead?

sage

A wide range of foods are good, so some of both would be good and if you can get the bulb with no screen that would be good because mesh can cut 50% of light , how close is the light anything over a foot is almost useless 6-8 inches is ideal

sage

My bulb is hanging right in the cage and I have three heights probably close to 6,8, and 10 inches

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Your food choices are poor due to the fact that there is no bone in what your offering. Try adding more variety, more whole prey. Anything that doesnt have bones, you need to supplement with a calcium with out d3. and then only supplement with d3 once a week or so. Be sure you have a good UV source. What type of bulb are you using for UV? I really like the Mega-Ray mercury vapor bulbs but they strong and should not be closer than 18inches. Powersuns can be a little closer but because that the lumens dont damage the eyes if too close. What is your basking temp and how are you measuring it? If hes too cool, he may not be able to properly absorb the nutrients from his food as well. Can you get a video of him walking?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus