• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

If You Own A Reptile And Its Species Gets Banned What Happens?

So I had thought and have not been bale to find strait answers on it...Say you owned a reptile...like idk, uh,, just for instance, a red tegu and a rhino iguana and a black throat monitor. ok now your state descides to ban these exotics... your friends and others know you have them from your youtube, fb, myspace, this site, ect ect and the pet store nkows you have them bc you got one of them and their food threw them, ect ect ect. what exactly happens? do you get your reptiles confiscated? have to turn them over? what exactly happens in all honesty? because id definetly end up fighting in many senses of the word over my beloved creatures.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I believe you would be grandfathered in (get to keep what you have, but not be able to add more or breed). It would probably depend on the fine print of the law/ban.

viva* oops lol
james.w said:
I believe you would be grandfathered in (get to keep what you have, but not be able to add more or breed). It would probably depend on the fine print of the law/ban.

oh, have you been in this situation or one simular before James?

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
when such a law is written it will need to include a clause that describes how the law shall be installed...

Sometimes existing owners will be "grandfathered" in and allowed to keep their animals, though they will need to register them (to verify it was owned before the law was instituted...

Sometimes you would have to turn it in to be put down...

It all depends on how it is written.....

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In FL, anacondas, large pythons, and Niles have been banned from private pet ownership. If you have one, you can keep it until it dies but you cannot get a new one. It must be licensed with the state and microchipped. There are people such as myself that are registered with the state and can accept a python (or whatever) from someone with no questions asked. They also have amnesty days for turning over prohibited or unwanted reptiles. If you are caught with an unlicensed prohibited animal then you can be fine and charged.

Toby_H said:
when such a law is written it will need to include a clause that describes how the law shall be installed...

Sometimes existing owners will be "grandfathered" in and allowed to keep their animals, though they will need to register them (to verify it was owned before the law was instituted...

Sometimes you would have to turn it in to be put down...

It all depends on how it is written.....
id end up breaking laws if i had to have them put down. thank you hidden underground basment.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have never been in this situation. My post was just what I have heard.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
These are the procedures for FL:
http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonnatives/conditional-prohibited-species/conditional-reptiles/

Yellow anacondas are not yet on the list. I asked the FWC officer about it when he was at my house doing my inspection. He said that they aren't as big and not a problem, so they are not on the list. However, the list can be ammended as needed.

jumper123

I would just never tell anybody.. know one knows where i live, no pet store, no youtube video. no facebook has my city or last name. I would like to see them Try me!

herpgirl2510

If a law passes and thy grandfather in ones that are owned you can keep it if not you have to turn it in. I live in mass so there are alot of reptiles that are illegal to own including every monitor species. I know alot of people keep them illegaly but have had them taken because of maybe a nosy neighbor. I ended up getting a permit fr my savannah. I could not stand it if someone found out I had herand they ame and took her. The penalty also includes fines.

There was a guy caught with monitors around here he got caught because his black throat monitor escaped his house and the plice were called they then searched his house and confiscated a savannah.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are so many instances...paramedics have to come to your house, the cable guy, repairmen, etc. I get nervous with what I have and I'm legal, lol!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980