• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ideal distance for uvb and basking lights

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

We have built a nice frame for when my tegu reaches adult size.it is in the beginning stages,and so i'd like feedback on what others have done to ensure he gets optimum uvb exposure and badking temps without being able to hurt himself on the bulbs or damage the bulbs.he is only 18 inches now...but a 'jumper '.he likes to be held and if I don't take him out when he wants to be out he'll start jumping.I have read other posts where the tegus break the bulbs.I am seeking advice about how to prevent this...and also how far from the animal the bulbs must be placed for the health of the animal.thanks for any help in advance! :heart:

[attachment=5292]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348498174817.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348498174817.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 60

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are you going to use MVBs or Tube florecance? If you use tube they need to be 10 to 18 inches away from the animals back (the exact distance depends on the brand of bulb). If going with MVB they will need to be a min of 12 inches and a max of 24 inches away from the bulb (again it will depend on the brand). It best to do an inside mount to avoid any screening or glass (these both filter out UV light).

Jumping sometimes will stop with age, but for a young tegu its best to put a light guard around the light fixture.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Since it's in the beginning stages I can do either.he is in a breeder tank now with dome lights on top.one heat and one uvb.but these will most likely be insufficient for a 6ft enclosure...thus my question. Are the tube lights recommended since they cover more area, technically? And could be mounted along the back maybe...?

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
You say domes? Are you using a coil UVB?
Yes it's a coil...but again, the final enclosure can have anything...it's in the process of being built...are coils bad?

Steven.

BatGirl1 said:
You say domes? Are you using a coil UVB?
Yes it's a coil...but again, the final enclosure can have anything...it's in the process of being built...are coils bad?

Well from what ive read on the forum, coils bulbs can blind your tegu because of its brightness. I would swap it out for a powersun or any other mvb bulb at that. Get rid of that coil bulb asap!!!. If your using uvb tubes then you can simply use a halogen bulb for heat and uva. Or you can just do the mvb bulb and get an all in one solution.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Oooo.I wasn't aware of the blinding risk! Sheesh! I use a coil for my bearded dragon too! ...:-/

Steven.

I don't know too much about the effects of the coil bulbs on a beardy.. Hopefully a more experienced member jumps in for that one.. But for tegus you can Google it.. "coil bulb effects tegutalk"

sent from my phone to your eyes

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Get rid of the coil, depending on the type they can cause blindness.

As for the final cage, how are you planning to heat, how much wattage do you want, how tall is the cage? Answering these will help with lighting/ uv/ heating choices.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
The cage is 3ft tall inside.we plan on an elevated basking area...can be any height.length is 6ft. Breeder tank has heating pad under side where bask and uvb are.cooler side has water bowl large enough to soak.final enclosure is going to depend on info gathered which seems the best to benefit the animal...

I had actually considered making a 'shelf ' area that was the size of the heating pad, to be able to slide the pad inside of it with cord access from outside the enclosure...that way if it needed replacing would be easy to pull out and replace.also the sides of this 'shelf box ' would be wood but top would be plexi or glass so heat could get through...

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
The frame for the new cage is 3ft deep by 6ft long by 3ft tall.

ReptileGuy

BatGirl1 said:
The cage is 3ft tall inside.we plan on an elevated basking area...can be any height.length is 6ft. Breeder tank has heating pad under side where bask and uvb are.cooler side has water bowl large enough to soak.final enclosure is going to depend on info gathered which seems the best to benefit the animal...

I had actually considered making a 'shelf ' area that was the size of the heating pad, to be able to slide the pad inside of it with cord access from outside the enclosure...that way if it needed replacing would be easy to pull out and replace.also the sides of this 'shelf box ' would be wood but top would be plexi or glass so heat could get through...

That should be fine. Keep in mind you still need a foot in bedding!

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club

[attachment=5308]

...now I know why he has been so enthusiastic about building this thing...haha :p

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348542203483.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348542203483.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 37

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu