• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I have to worry?

Slake

I have a 3 months black and white Tegu, when the handle he tries to escape(sometimes jump), I wonder if this behavior can bring me problems in the future.

When I got it jumped and tried to bite me(first day in home), today only tries to escape, sometimes he stays calm when the handle, until receiving affection.

Can anyone give me a hint?

Sorry for the english!

Thank you!

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Give him time to adjust start wit talking nicely and petting no handling

from Samsung Galaxy S3

bfb345

this is normal for young tegus they see you as some giant evil beast that wants to eat them and they are super tiny they improve with age and patience

I'm learning too, but I've heard handling them when you first get them is generally not a good idea, as they need time to adjust. I've also read to not force handle, meaning let them come to you or just bring your hand up to them, but don't grab or lift. Slow and steady.

Raicardoso

psychocircus91 said:
I'm learning too, but I've heard handling them when you first get them is generally not a good idea, as they need time to adjust. I've also read to not force handle, meaning let them come to you or just bring your hand up to them, but don't grab or lift. Slow and steady.

Yes, "force handling" is a very bad idea. It'll make the lizard trust you a lot less, and trust is something the lizard must absolutely have. Generally with new tegus i would say give it about 2 weeks to start handling them. After that go slow. Put in your hand and see how they react. If they react well go ahead and touch them. Have slow hand movements. Usually i would say give it about 3 weeks until you actually take the lizard out of the cage.

Also at that young age they will be generally more spastic and run around like that.

Slake

Guys, I think I expressed myself badly, he is with me in a month, on the first day he arrived home, he jumped and tried to bite me.

Today he accepts approximation, let me touch.

All this, without taking it off the terrarium,

My concern was whether such avoidance behavior is normal or if I would bring problems in the future, but from what I saw, it is a natural behavior for babys.

Thank's for all!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It seems to be normal behavior. Babies see themselves as prey for larger animals so are more defensive and active.

Have you not taken him out of the terrarium yet?

Is he a wild tegu?

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Bem-vindo ao fórum

Sim, estes lagartos são, naturalmente, muito agressivo. No entanto, porque eles são tão inteligentes, com o tempo, eles muitas vezes se tornam amigas e fazer estimação agradáveis. O comportamento de esquiva é normal, esperamos que com o tempo o seu pet vai aprender a gostar de você. Lembre-se, porém, que estes não são como cães, eles podem sempre ser um pouco com medo das pessoas.

Peço desculpa pelo meu português ruim, eu só vivia no Brasil há dois anos e eu ainda precisa de um tradutor de computador.

Slake

laurarfl said:
It seems to be normal behavior. Babies see themselves as prey for larger animals so are more defensive and active.

Have you not taken him out of the terrarium yet?

Is he a wild tegu?

I have not pulled out the terrarium because I'm afraid to drop it down.

He is born in captivity.

He is in a terrarium without a lid, always handle him inside.Yesterday he ran by my shirt and landed on my shoulder.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was wondering about it being a wild tegu since you live in Brazil. I would love to see a photo when you have a chance to post one.

I love your Albert Einstein quote!

Slake

Roadkill - Thank you! I use google translate sometimes too...lol

Laurarfl - I will made some pictures today! - I think this is true (Albert)

Thank's!

Slake

Pictures:

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 56

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I love the quote in your signature. Einstein was so brilliant that he stated that about Obama even though he died years earlier. Must be something about the theory of relativity and bending time and space. Or maybe common sense, which is in short supply right now.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Dubya is saddened.:( Some people :heart: Dubya. Dubya will try to be good. :angel: Dubya writes in third person now because Dubya is sad. :(. Dubya is ashamed. :blush:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me