• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Humidity Problem Fix (May be Yours)

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
In my glass 30gal terrarium that my two snakes are in, i was having trouble keeping the humidity up especially with a screen top. Everyone told me to put a larger water dish in and cover the top of the screen to keep the moisture in, as well as putting an under tank heater under the water dish to help even more! Well long story short i did those things with little success and still had to mist constantly to keep it up. Well I had two high watt UV bulbs in there heating it, through misshap one bulb wasn't turned on and i figured out that i was basically cooking all the humidity out of the air!!! It would stay around 86 in there with both bulbs, and so with only one of the bulbs going at a time the temp somehow stayed the same and the humidity finally without the extra radiant heat nd everything else i had done, it had a chance i guess to exist and now, with out misting, eventhough i still do once a day it stays 87degrees and 53% Humidity at all times as long as i keep the water bowls filled up.
Perhaps this will help someone diagnose their humidity porblem and look at it from a different approach b/c no one when i had these questions suggested this could have been my problem. Good Luck and I have two water bowls, one is full of humidifying moss, a under tank heater under that bowl, a cover over the back screen (A piece of cardboard) and one less heat bulb to achieve those perameters, so you might have to change everything and not just one thing. Hope this helps someone.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've done similar things with our snakes tanks. My BP has a UTH on the warm side and a 75W night time bulb over the water bowl. Most of the top is covered with aluminum foil and black duct tape. Humidity is consistent in the mid 50's. Our BRB's tank has 2 UTH's with (1) under the water bowl to maintain the 70 to 80% humidity they require (without misting!).

There was a Sticky on BP.net but they took it down. I'll have to take some pictures and write my own version.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980