• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How well do tegus read emotion?

mduke3

Yesterday morning I had to put down my beloved basset hound due to cancer. I was an emotional wreck the whole day, and surprisingly, when I went to get out Ellie, she came up to me and put her head into my hands, let my scratch her neck for a long time, and then calmly crawled up my arm. The rest of the day she stayed very close to me. Now Ellie is not the attention-seeking tegu, and never has been since I've had her. She is very independent and will only tolerate being held/handled. It seemed out of the ordinary and got me thinking if tegus can read human emotions like other animals can, and act off of that, or maybe this was just a random act of kindness from her? Lol.
What are your thoughts?

elmo

ive had a few discussions about tegus ability to love on this and other tegu sites. often people say that they used to us and its not love blah blah blah.. i think tegus can love thus they care and have empathy of us, not many will agree but i think yr tegu knew u were having a bad day...

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm so sorry to hear about you basset. That is such a hard decision to make. I don't know how much tegus read into our emotions, but it sure made a nice gesture for you. :)

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My condolences for your loss. Losing something or someone we love is never easy, or something we get over. In time we just learn to accept and deal with it.

With most animals it's usually more about chemicals like hormones / pheromones and body language more so than emotion. Besides the chemical changes our bodies go through when happy, sad, scared, stressed or what ever, there's also the physical where we may be more relaxed or more tense because of a situation and animals pick up on that.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
I have hear stories like this before, where it seems like a tegu is comforting its owner when they are very sad. I personaly choose to believe that they can show that kind of emotion. Even with something like when a stranger comes into my room, my tegu will run to me for safety.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont