• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

how to pick up angry savy

got10

Get your self a good set of work gloves and a set cojones and get busy ,LOL
Seriously just get a good set of gloves and reach inside and pick him up firmly behind the head and at the base of the tail then get a pillow case and put it in til you finish cleaning the cage.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
HOW big is she? What size enclosure is she in? How deep and what type of substrate are you using? How do you know she is a female?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If it is a female and you don't provide her with a deep substrate like dirt, there is a good chance she will be dead soon as she could become egg bound due to not having a proper place to lay eggs.

What are you feeding, and do you feed off of tongs?

Dana C

I had a thought, sort of a follow up to James question.
I learned that many experienced monitor keepers start tong feeding their new acquired monitors right away. Over time, they move the food item closer and closer to their off hand. Eventually, the monitor has to climb on to the off hand to get up to the food item held with tongs by the other. Although few will admit it, holding a mouse by the tail and having a monitor take it from ones hand on occasion is not uncommon. The monitor begins to associate you with good things like food and having to have contact with you to get the good stuff.

I know this runs counter to Tegu husbandry but it works. My Black Throat, Kinabo has never once tried to bite me and on the occasions that I had an extra mouse, he very gently turns his head to the side to grasp the mouse sideways from me while I dangle it the tail.
Interestingly I actually trust my monitor more than my Tegus.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
2 feet is very small.... It's really not hard at all. You should have cleaned it's cage before since you've had it for a while? How did you do it before?

bonedoc

Use gloves and get him/her out the enclosure. Yes you will need to be careful but also firm and support him/her properly. Put your monitor into the bathtub for a good soak while cleaning the cage. You will probaly need to try and spend more time in his/her presence to build more trust and tolerance. One thing you can try that I've seen others have great results with is sitting the tub with them. Dry the tub and sit inside, just relax, read, observe and allow your monitor to sit in there with you.

My Black throat was not a fan of human contact when he was young...but persistance and presence paid off. He is over 5' and never even opens his mouth in a threatening manner at all. It doesn't happen over night though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980