• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How To Handle Bites?

Diablo

5 Year Member
I don't have my tegu yet, still waiting for the little guy to hatch and be shipped! I've been doing some reading on handling and there is one thing I have not yet seen answered at least from what I read. How do you handle being bitten by your tegu? Do they hold on when they bite or do they let go quick? I know you shouldn't be afraid of them but I'm just wondering because in case I do run into the problem of being bit I know how to handle it instead of freaking out and not knowing what I should do. I do plan on having his/her food in another bin already so there is no association with my hands to food, but just in case I wanna be prepared.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If they do bite, don't pull back. Usually if you are still, they let go quickly. If you ever had a serious latch-on bite (not too common), you can use alcohol near the mouth to get the tegu to let go or submerge him in a sink of cold water. Obviously, you don't want to harm the tegu. Alcohol is harsh to the sensitive smell/taste senses that tegus have, so that is a last resort.

Dana C

I have been bitten once by each of my tegus. Both times were sort of test bites. They nuzzled around my hands acting all lovey dovey and all of a sudden bit me. I yelped, they let go right away like Laura said and it has never happened again. In both cases, there was no offensive or defensive behavior displayed and both bites occurred early on in my ownership of them.
It was sort of a tasting or testing thing. Now when they nuzzle it is because they want their heads rubbed or they want to see what is under my leg or in my shoes etc.
Like Laura said, don't pull back as you will be the loser. You can gently open the mouth with your free hand if your's latches on. I have heard about it but never have experienced it or seen it.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Tegu bites aren't as bad as you think. Yeah they hurt and bleed a bit, but it's just a minor flesh wound in the long run. Monitor bites are far more serious.

TheTeguGurl

Like Laura was saying Dont over react that will tell your tegu you are affaird of them. keep calm and cont with what you are doing inless you have a bad bite. You always want to make sure your hands dont smell like food either. thats the only time I was bit is when my hand smelled like food and it was just a nip

naturboy87

Bites can cuntane Deadly backteria that can over take the amune sistem farrly quickly if not taken care of properly .. cleaning the gawel gaps in the back of the mouth and teeth can help greatly with childrens mouth wash and a few q-tips . (childerns) becus if ingested its not to hard on the stumic is the mane reason ... the bite its self i cleen mine ameadetly with h2o2 ( higeregen peroxide) . and wach carfully for eny sighns of infection ....

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
Just dont forget brush your tegus teeth regularly to minimize the risk of infection just in case you get nibbled.
They prefer medium hard bristles as soft may not work well in thse hard to reach places and hard may cause gum bleeding.
And if your really concerned about bites, I recommend getting a Tokay gecko so you can practice being bitten regulary.

Dana C

Thelegendofcharlie said:
Just dont forget brush your tegus teeth regularly to minimize the risk of infection just in case you get nibbled.
They prefer medium hard bristles as soft may not work well in thse hard to reach places and hard may cause gum bleeding.
And if your really concerned about bites, I recommend getting a Tokay gecko so you can practice being bitten regulary.

Yes and with a little effort, they can be taught to gargle as well.....ah yes, a minty fresh tegu.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu