• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How to get him to want to climb on your hand.

Diesel

Okay i am the point where i think he trusts me pretty well. I can touch him and pet him when he is in his cage usually alright. Sometimes he puffs but not often. So my question is... How do you get your tegu to want to climb onto your hand so you don't have to pick him up? Like actually come to you. Not putting your hand in front of him when he is walking?.
I know this won't happen over night and that handling him will help him get tamer. But is there any certain one or a few tricks to get him to actually come to me when i stick my hand into the cage?

thanks for any tips everyone!

TeguLouie

the way i did it with louie was when he was comfortable with me i put my hand in front and he woould walk over it. when he was more secure doing that i woould pick him and kind of give him no place to go but to get comfortable with being held. im not saying that that is the best way but it worked for me.

poke

Since I feed my tegu in a tub. It was easier for him to recongnize that if he walks to my hand. He is going to get picked up and put in the tub to get fed. I did this for about two weeks straight same routine everyday. Put my hand in his cage let him smell my hand and explore it. Then I would pick him up and put him in the tub to feed. Now he just knows that if i open his cage that hes going to be coming out and he just waits for me to take him out.

But if you are starting out I would suggest no fast movement of your body or your hand. Your tegu will react to it thats what ive noticed in the beginning. Also trust is a key factor here. You have to trust your tegu not to take a bite out of your hand when hes smelling and exploring it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont