• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How much minerals/vitamins

Roger

5 Year Member
Hello,

I give my adult Tegu male sticky tongue farms Miner-All outdoor. I normally dust a little bit per feeding. He get’s three times a week grounded meat. On the package there is a guideline for herbivores. But not for meateaters. Is there a good guideline how much I have to give per feeding? I already send them a e-mail but no reaction back. Maybe someone can help me out who has the right information for me.
Kind regards,
Roger

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I have never seen an exact recommendation. Rather, you'll see everything from dusted to heavily dusted, if not feeding frozen/thawed prey. Most everyone here dusts with calcium/ D3, and also supplements with fish oil. I have supplemented with B-12 complex to support a good shed. That is def becoming more popular here in this forum.

Dusted for me means, like a sifting of confectioners' sugar (but with calcium) over the food, or mixed into the ground meat. Heavily dusted means twice that or more. If anyone has an animal that hasn't been getting any at all, I'd go with heavy dusting until you feel like they've been getting a strong dose for a period of weeks. Then I'd go to the regular dusting from that time on.

It's not scientific I know, but I'm confident in that description of how I have been maintaining my Tegus, including my beardie Jabba!

As a side note, the fish oil is almost as important as the Calcium. Don't procrastinate it, just get some Fish Oil from Costco, or WalMart, and cut open about 1-2 gelcaps for a sub-adult, or 2-3 for an adult. I also give my adult - Skully - fresh sockeye salmon as part of his diet. I know it's expensive...but he loves it.

Maybe someone else can jump in with exact fractions of teaspoons of calcium... Good luck!!

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds like a good explanation to me debita....... eventhough its not so scientific

Alpha loves his Salmon too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980