• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

how many month i got till hibernation?

did your tegu hibernate?

• yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no.

• slowed down only or hibernated less than 2 mnth

• Total voters

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have to say "D" all of the above lol, my first varnyard tegu didnt hibernate, she had some slow days but for the most part she stayed up eating and growing, 2 tegus i got during hibernation went right bk down, one til febuary the other til april, storm and rayne went down in september til febuary, some will go down in august, so you will have anywere from 1-3 mos. Before your tegu goes down, if he does

adam1120

Okay I want to play with the fella for a bit but it would be badass if he didn't hibernate I would love to Have him big fast:D Omg its coming soo soon in gettin so excited that's why so many question lately lol

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lol i can definately understand, you might want to hope your tegu hibernates, the food bills will grow right along with your tegu, my tegu was woofing down med. Rats by 7-8 mos. Old no kidding(i got videos) heck my current 2 tegus hibernated 5 mos. And still hit 3' and neither of them have made a year yet, i cant imagine how big they are by the end of summer/hibernation

herpgirl2510

It depends on the tegu. I know the person who originally bought my extreme said he hibernated one month after he got himuntil th end of April. The prson who had my B&W last year said he hibernated from nov-march. Both of my guys were kept outside last year. I am going to keepmine inside and see what happens when I keep the heat and light cycle the same. If the go down I will not prevent it it will be strange having two tegus hibernating in my living room.

jumper123

reptastic said:
Lol i can definately understand, you might want to hope your tegu hibernates, the food bills will grow right along with your tegu, my tegu was woofing down med. Rats by 7-8 mos. Old no kidding(i got videos) heck my current 2 tegus hibernated 5 mos. And still hit 3' and neither of them have made a year yet, i cant imagine how big they are by the end of summer/hibernation

JEEZ!! my 11 month old (black and white) didn't hibernate and is just starting on fuzzy/hopper mice! hes only 22 inches and 495 grams.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah there were 4 others from her clutch that didnt hibernate who also reached a huge size before 1 y/o

nero at about 7 mos old

IMAGE_529-1.jpg

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
None of mine have gone down. Guru is a year old and was up all winter, he never slowed down. Gary and Rango are 2 and as far as I know they've never hibernated/brumated. I was told they didn't slow down this last winter either but in the last 3 months I've had them they've become a lot more active so its possible they slowed down a little bit.

adam1120

where are you from rhetoricx?maybe your weather had something to do with it? or your lights? i hope mine dont go down would relly love tegu to hit 3 ft in a year while be soo happy:D

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Portland, OR. I tried playing with the lights with Guru, I set them so they were only on for 10 hours then after a couple weeks to 8 hours but it didn't seem to matter. He would stay out regardless of when the lights came on or went off. I gave up and put them back and 10/14. Now that its summer they're all at 13/11.

Haha yeah Guru is my biggest tegu, hes the heaviest and longest. He's just over 3.5ft long and probably 5-6 lbs. The other two tegus are between 3 and 3.5 ft and around 3-4 lbs each.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yep she was one of bobbys black noses, i dont think were you stay matters much, heck i live in chicago and winters are brutal, at night it can get -0 i did keep the lights on a 12/12 schedule only because she came out ate and basked everyday, once during a power outage i pannicked cause it was freezing, so i threw some blankets over the enclosures before the roo could cool down to much, guess who was up begging for food Yep she was hungry lol and by this time the room thermometer was at like 50* it got down to like 40* that night, every reptile survided i thought this would kinda push her into hibernation mode, NOPE she took a lickin and kept on tickin( well eatin lol)

adam1120

haha damn i would have been freaking out lol ill never have that problem here i live in texas south texas when it rains its in the high 85 amd 90 past two days been raining and high in the 90's:D

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds like a place i need to live lol, btw i wanted to mention even if your tegu does hibernate he can still be 3' before he hits a year old, rayne will officially be a yearling this saturday and i just measured him today at 36" and he hibernated for 5 mos. When he woke up he was about 16" in mid febuary

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It could just be making its burrow, do you feel like its sleeping all the time? How long have you had it?

herpgirl2510

How long have you had the baby I got a new extreme a few weeks ago he is still getting used to his new home so he spends a large majority of the day hiding out.

welshghost

had him for a week now he's eating fine but he don't hardly bask. He sleeps most of the day and keeps rubbing his face like he has a muddy eye. thanks for any info

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He is still acclimating to his new surroundings, my b/w took a few weeks before he was out basking alot, he would eat little bites of food and go back in the hide, now he is out all day(on most days) and eating tons, you gotta give them time

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan