• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

how long after.....???

tegu1982

5 Year Member
ok i was just wondering how long after waking from hibernation will a tegu get its appitite back. mine have only just awoke two days ago, and ive offered food both days but no response. is there a grce period i should give them or what. this is my first hibernation where my previus tegus were columbians and not args. any feed back is greatly appreciated. thanks.

i0r

5 Year Member
Think there's no accurate way to tell that. Mine started to eat the very first day she woke up from hibernation.....almost quarter pound of beef liver. So just keep offer him food and he'll eat when he feels good and ready :p

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
My big one took almost a week, he soaked and drank but didnt eat until the 5th day or so...and when he ate it was like 1.63lbs of chicken tenderloins. When they first wake up they are still a little "drunk" as I like to call it, and are still slowed down a little it seems until they get back into the normal routine. So it wont take much longer, just offer food daily.

Gx3

5 Year Member
Mine got his appetite back in about a week. Now he's pounding anything he can and hes been up for about a month now

tegu1982

5 Year Member
thanks for the input peoples i really appreciate it. guess ill just keep on wastin the goods im offerin everyday till they start eatin again. lol

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The first day I noticed my guys out in March, I decided to turn their lights back on. They immediately took to their basking spot to enjoy the warmth. I offered food a few hours later and they both ate with no problems. They have been awake, feeding, defecating and eating more ever since! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214