• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How fast do they grow?

E_M

So, I'm new here and I'm getting my first b&w tegu in 3-4 weeks, a juvenile. I'm curious as to just how quickly they grow. Is there any difference in male/female when it comes to growth rates? Like if a tegu is 6 months old, would a female be slightly smaller than a male at this age?

What size can I expect that my Tegu is at:
6 months
1 year
2 years

mike97

E_M said:
So, I'm new here and I'm getting my first b&w tegu in 3-4 weeks, a juvenile. I'm curious as to just how quickly they grow. Is there any difference in male/female when it comes to growth rates? Like if a tegu is 6 months old, would a female be slightly smaller than a male at this age?

What size can I expect that my Tegu is at:
6 months
1 year
2 years
from what ive heard they can grow 3ft in a year!!!

anelk002

5 Year Member
It seems kinda early for hatchlings already. But my old one did not hibernate and grew 3 ft in a yr the one I got last yr did hibernate so only had grown about 5" since august

E_M

anelk002 said:
It seems kinda early for hatchlings already. But my old one did not hibernate and grew 3 ft in a yr the one I got last yr did hibernate so only had grown about 5" since august

They were born this year. Is that odd? Okay, yeah I know they don't grow during hibernation. Growth rate seems ta vary a lot, guess I'll just have to wait and see.

anelk002

5 Year Member
Do you know where they were bred bc I know in America the don't breed until spring and usually hatch round July.

E_M

anelk002 said:
Do you know where they were bred bc I know in America the don't breed until spring and usually hatch round July.

They are cb hatchlings from Germany.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I am not sure if it is a male for certain. I was told it was a male when I got it as a hatchling, but I haven't seen sperm plugs yet or hemipenes when he/she poops. The jowels are getting bigger though. It is a Bobby Hill "extreme". I will post a pic maybe tomorrow.

E_M

Dubya said:
I am not sure if it is a male for certain. I was told it was a male when I got it as a hatchling, but I haven't seen sperm plugs yet or hemipenes when he/she poops. The jowels are getting bigger though. It is a Bobby Hill "extreme". I will post a pic maybe tomorrow.

I wonder how they sexed him/her as a hatchling. Probing? Please do, would love to see a pic! Do you know what the average adult size of extreme giants is? Male/female

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Zoocreatures did probes on theirs for me because I wanted a male. :) and niles was averaging about an inch a week before he went down for hibernation. Then slowed eating until refused altogether...so of course growth stopped too.

E_M

BatGirl1 said:
Zoocreatures did probes on theirs for me because I wanted a male. :) and niles was averaging about an inch a week before he went down for hibernation. Then slowed eating until refused altogether...so of course growth stopped too.

That's like 4 inches a month, they really grow fast! Since the one I'm getting was born this year, I'm guessing he/she won't go down for hibernation until around October? How common is it that tegus don't hibernate?

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
E_M said:
Dubya said:

I wonder how they sexed him/her as a hatchling. Probing? Please do, would love to see a pic! Do you know what the average adult size of extreme giants is? Male/female

I think Bobby Hill just takes his best guess by looking at the hatchling. I think Hills extremes may go to about 5 feet for males, but I am no expert on tegus. I may have my vet probe him soon to make sure.

BatGirl1 said:

I thought you had a restraining order from Zoo Creatures. I bet the deformed alligator is in your bathtub.

E_M

Dubya said:
I think Hills extremes may go to about 5 feet for males, but I am no expert on tegus. I may have my vet probe him soon to make sure.
5 feet is huge! Would need an entire room to house that thing :D

Not really following on the restraining order and aligator thing here..

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Shhhh... the feds might be monitoring this thread.haha. ( dubya teases me because zoocreatures in plaistow has/had a rescued alligator I REALLY want to adopt, but don't have the money or space. Haha)

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: How fast do they grow?

BatGirl1 said:
Shhhh... the feds might be monitoring this thread.haha. ( dubya teases me because zoocreatures in plaistow has/had a rescued alligator I REALLY want to adopt, but don't have the money or space. Haha)

Lol look out

from Samsung Galaxy S3

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You ever seen lightning strike? Lol yeah its kinda like that....if a tegu hibernates they can hit 3' easily if they dont hibernate they can hit 4' dosnt matter male or female the first 2 tegus in my siggy are my 2 tegus at a year old and they both hibernated

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
E_M said:
Dubya said:
I think Hills extremes may go to about 5 feet for males, but I am no expert on tegus. I may have my vet probe him soon to make sure.
5 feet is huge! Would need an entire room to house that thing :D

Not really following on the restraining order and aligator thing here..

Gwangi will be moving to a 10x12 or 12x12 outdoor enclosure when the weather allows. Starting this fall, I will be hibernating him. I kept him from hibernating this year because he was small and I didn't feel that he had enough fat on him.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I didn't think it was possible to keep them from hibernating. :/ if they really want to. Cuz i have done everything lately to get niles up and eating and he's like "nope " and goes back to sleep :( i don't want him to deplete reserves... ugh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.