• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How can you tell if your tegu has eaten mulch?

Matt0925

I am likely just being an overly worried new parent, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I just got one of Bobby's extremes a little over a week ago. His substrate is cypress mulch. I have been feeding in the enclosure on a plate just becuase the little guy wants nothing to do with me at this point. He is becoming more trusting, however any time my hand gets near him he runs for his hide.

In any case, tonight he has me a bit worried. Today I fed him ground turkey with cod liver oil and the calcium powder. Today was the first day with the powder as I didn't have it before today. He did not eat much today, it looks like about one bite. Now I know this isn't too big a deal, however yesterday he did not eat much either. I made him a hard boiled egg. I saw him eat some of it, but not much. The day before that was turkey and cod liver oil.

The thing is, tonight his stomach looks huge. I cant pick him up to feel if it is hard or not. Also, I have not seen much poop in the cage either, however at his size I have noticed it tends to be pretty small, so it is very possible I could just be missing it.

Any thoughts? Does it sound like I am just worrying? In the morning should I just grab him and give him a soak even if it upsets him? Thanks for any thoughts!

kellen.watkins

I would just in case, I don't think it would be a huge deal just don't do it if he's in his hide but if you gotta chase him down once I don't think it would hurt, when you feed in the tank too try putting a shrt or paper towel in the corner its been doing wonders for me

tora

I've always just went after them so long as they weren't in their hide, and my tegus are just fine. You probably should give it a soak.

Matt0925

Ok. I will grab him in the morning and soak him. I think I saw somewhere in water about 85*? At his small size is the bathtub safe? Thanks for the replys. God knows its nothing, but I hate for it to be something.

Matt0925

That did not go well. I tried to grab him, however he was not having it. He ran from me, when I got near him he tail whiped me then ran again. I called it quits just because I figured it was a bad idea to chase him around.

On the other hand, he did look thinner today, so I am guessing he ate more than I thought yesterday and I was just overly worried.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu