• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

how big

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry too much. If hes slowed down activity wise he isn't going to be doing a ton of growing. If hes truly hibernating he might stop growing all together for the time being. All tegus grow at different rates. Variables include: UVB, diet, genetics, hibernating, brumating, etc.
Some tegus brumate or hibernate and when they wake up 4-5 months later they are still around 1ft to 1.5ft. Some tegus stay up their entire first winter (Guru did) and end up just short of 4 ft at a year old.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I received my Tegu at approx 6 weeks of age and it was approx 20 cm (8 inches). When he first arrived he was growing slow but within a month his growth rate spend up considerably. Overally his growth rate in his first summer wasn't anything more than expected...

He fully hibernated his first winter and then grew incredibly fast his second summer... incredibly fast...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine is 11 months old and 37", he is an All American by the way. All Tegus will be different sizes at different ages, none of them grow the same.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I mean all the tegus i had before grew at different rates as someone metioned,mine never grew slow lol,if they were hibernating they were'nt growing much but as soon as they were up from hibernating they grew like weeds lol.

jumper123

I have an 11 month old who is 21 in. hes rather small compared to the others some have on the forum, but i only feed him every other day.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you mind if i ask why u feed every other day? My b/w tegu was only 18" at 10 mos. Old and now he is 12 mos old and 36", he hit a major growth spurt around 11 mos old, before hibernation he was a very slow grower only growing a inch like every other week or so if that

jumper123

My new herp vet is also an expert in tegus. He said that it generally isn't healthy to feed daily. Also because my little guy has mbd from his
Past owners so the vet wants his growth slow So his
Bones can catch up. After the first month my tegu walked again after being almost completely paralyzed I was so excited! Some disagree I know a lot of breeders and keepers disagree I don't mind but I have seen incredible progress in my little boy. <3

montana

Glad he is coming around ...

I personally would be concerned that MY tegu would try to eat mulch if I didn`t keep him topped off..

jumper123

Haha ya I haven't seen him eat mulch, yet! Lately he's been attacking my toes thinking it's fuzzy time.. I feel bad cause he is hungry.. But he's doing so well I dont want to screw it up now.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jumper123 said:
Haha ya I haven't seen him eat mulch, yet! Lately he's been attacking my toes thinking it's fuzzy time.. I feel bad cause he is hungry.. But he's doing so well I dont want to screw it up now.

Rango does that, I always wear shoes or slippers when I have him out lol. He hasn't bitten any toes but he sure shows a lot of interest. I wouldn't put it past him.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
I am so glad my tegu isn't the only one who does that. IDk what it is about my feet but she seems to think it's a meal sometimes even after feeding her. I can touch her mouth with my hands no problem but if she sees my toes she goes hunting so I wear slippers and that seems to work.

jumper123

The sad part was he did it while I was feeding him ground turkey (he eats off of a spoon because he is still too weak to pick up his own food) I try to get him to eat out of the bowl but after a few minutes of trying he walks away.. And at this point the meals he gets are important. He got my nose the other day. Dangerous little creature.. Doesn't hurt a bit though because of his weak jaw pressure! Maybe it's because toes move? And are low to the ground and short and fat like mice?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jumper123 said:
My new herp vet is also an expert in tegus. He said that it generally isn't healthy to feed daily. Also because my little guy has mbd from his
Past owners so the vet wants his growth slow So his
Bones can catch up. After the first month my tegu walked again after being almost completely paralyzed I was so excited! Some disagree I know a lot of breeders and keepers disagree I don't mind but I have seen incredible progress in my little boy. <3

I wasn't going to comment on this, but what makes your vet a "tegu expert"?

How long have you had your tegu?

jumper123

its all good. Hes been raises and rescues tegus and monitors, his expertise is in lizards and especially tegus. If he could make a living off being just a tegu vet he would, unfortunately there just isnt enough tegus in the area, so he does all exotics. Hes quirky old guy.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How long have you had your tegu? Can you post some pics of him, I would like to see the tail base.

jumper123

Want to see the radiographs I took at work?! I'll try and upload them. He's got a pretty thick tail base for his size. He just doesn't grow lol

I have had him since October he spent (hatched) august to my date of purchase with no UVB light :( and we are talking about a reptile store! And only fed pinkies. Cause ya they are smart :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.