• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

holistic canned dog food as snack

yulyani

Hello friends,

I just wondering to get infos from you before I give Gogon my beloved tegu the new snack......

I have a 15 years old dog MIUT who I love very2 much,....and he eats the little amount of canned holistic food as snack every morning. I use the brand of Avoderm or Pinacle.

When I read the ingredients, I found it very2 good and natural, they use: turkey, turkey broth, turkey liver, carrots, oatmeal, avocados, and omega 3 and 6, also mixed with calsium and other vitamin. The pinacle brand use the duck, potato, rosemary, papain, and added vitamin.

I didn't find the phosphor contains in them so I am not too certain of it. Also I didn't find the preservative ingredients on it also....

My question is,....is it ok to give this holistic canned food as snack,...or better not at all,....because Gogon loves the canned a/d for dogs and cats, and I read it is ok to give a/d for reptiles sometimes or as a snack only......I also want to try to give it to my blue tongue skink Boso....

For my monitor lizards,...I have feelings this food is not suit for them because it is the mixed process food....

I am sorry if this sound like strange or stupid things but I just want to share my minds hehehehe

many thanks and d I appreciate every inputs from you.......

yuli

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Avocado is actually toxic to many animals. It will kill birds rather quickly and I read one case of a horse that died form eating one. I work at Petco and frankly I'm shocked they would make a dog food with that particular ingredient in it. I wouldn't suggest giving Avoderm to a reptile. Natural Balance is an excellent natural-ingredient dog food and if you're going to give your lizards dog food, I suggest that brand. However, I have no idea if it's available in your country. Read the ingredients of whatever brand you decide and if it contains things you really want in your tegu's/skink's system. Also, it's not a stupid question. There is no harm in asking for a second opinion.

yulyani

dragonmetalhead said:
Avocado is actually toxic to many animals. It will kill birds rather quickly and I read one case of a horse that died form eating one. I work at Petco and frankly I'm shocked they would make a dog food with that particular ingredient in it. I wouldn't suggest giving Avoderm to a reptile. Natural Balance is an excellent natural-ingredient dog food and if you're going to give your lizards dog food, I suggest that brand. However, I have no idea if it's available in your country. Read the ingredients of whatever brand you decide and if it contains things you really want in your tegu's/skink's system. Also, it's not a stupid question. There is no harm in asking for a second opinion.

thank you I appreciate your input very much. Yes I would be more careful and read carefully first........... before giving any new food to my lizards. Gogon is now 8 years and Boso is about 12 years (old man) so I will watch them more closely now. Gogon just getting back his appetite after having problem with appetite since about 3 weeks ago,...I suspect he is slowing down or in the mating season last time....

thanks again and I send regards to KODO

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just read this recently: Apparently it is the part of the avocado next to the seed that can be toxic because the seed is toxic.

I just looked this up:
http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Avocados-and-Pets.aspx

I think I would skip the avocado, but holistic canned foods are ok treats otherwise.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As a treat every once in a while it should be fine, the avocado is processed like everything else in it. I fed my dogs the same, they were on Pinnacle for a while until Achilles allergies started acting up then I switched them over to Avoderm. Both made by the same company Pinnacle is just the cheaper product.

Both Natsuki and Milla have been in my dogs food bowls.

yulyani

laurarfl said:
I just read this recently: Apparently it is the part of the avocado next to the seed that can be toxic because the seed is toxic.

I just looked this up:
http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Avocados-and-Pets.aspx

I think I would skip the avocado, but holistic canned foods are ok treats otherwise.

thank you Laura....I will switch to another brand canned holistic food (or type) with no avocado inside....I thank for your help and concern and it is definetely very useful for me and my pet.....

yulyani

Bubblz Calhoun said:
As a treat every once in a while it should be fine, the avocado is processed like everything else in it. I fed my dogs the same, they were on Pinnacle for a while until Achilles allergies started acting up then I switched them over to Avoderm. Both made by the same company Pinnacle is just the cheaper product.

Both Natsuki and Milla have been in my dogs food bowls.

thank you....my dog Miut is 15 years now and he had the episodes of decreased appetite that's why I gave him the different type of canned food. Before I avoid to use process food and always cook his food by myself...but I see holistic canned food is quite good to induce appetite when it is low,...avoderm has the delicious smell almost similar with cat food and Miut loves it.....:p I have the chicken and turkey with veggies type at home......

I haven't given them to Gogon my tegu since I see him having the quite good appetite until yesterday but I will give Gogon next time probably only the pinnacle duck and potato formula........

send my regards to Achilles, Natsuki and Milla hehehehe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.