1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Hibernation

Discussion in 'Tegu Cross-breed Discussion' started by Lourdes and Neal Bassett, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Lourdes and Neal Bassett

Lourdes and Neal Bassett New Member

hello, I have new b/w crossed with red Tegu. We recently purchased him/her at a reptile show in Sacramento. I am aware Tegus can hibernate. I also understand they also just sleep a day or two at at as they approach hibernation.

As a new owner, I want to learn everything I can and properly care for my Tegu. So, important questions i have. Is it to early for hibernation? I understand white and black Tegu often go into hibernation later and stay longer than Reds...

Should I be, gently, waking my Tegu for food, socialization, and sunlight since it's still early? I'd certainly like another month or so with it before I say sleep tight.

I keep my Tegu in a room that stays about 80 degrees. i have a 100 W uva A/B basking lamp that is on 8 hours a day in 4 hour segments. I know if he or she is indeed going to into hibernation I need to place him/her into a cooler environment (50-70).

In short, i'd like another month with my Tegu. So it can get to know me and I him/her. Am I okay waking it daily to begin establishing a routine?

I have uploaded an image of Falcor and my setup. He's in the largest cage, the others are tarantulas. the collection 10-2-18.jpg IMG_0012.jpg

Thanks for any help, links to answers, or just taking the time to read this.

Respectfully,

N. Bassett
  2. nightanole

nightanole Member

When you first get them, they may only come out a few days a week. They may not be hibernating. If they are hibernating they will refusing food, so that is a key indicator, even if its warm out and you have not adjusted the lighting. Feel free to bug them and interact as long as they are eating.

I had a red that was hatched in december some how, it basically brumated till may, and only ate and came out once or twice a week. Still doubled in weight over that time period. Still was the worlds shortest 6 month old tegu though :)