• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation

sage

My Argentine ate and then I haven't seen her since. I'm guessing she's hibernating but I'm nervous that the food could be rotting. It has been two or three weeks, she had one fuzzy and is four or so months old ( pretty small/slow grower)

Jackie & Hellboy

Just keep the basking light on, she'll bask and digest the food in her stomache even if she's brumating she will still wake up to bask periodically even if only for a moment, it's 40 degrees Fahrenheit during the hot part of the days here in Texas and I still see green anoles basking for about an hour then going right back to thier burrows to sleep, just thought I'd add that to show that they are still awake throughout the winter just that their activity levels drop off significantly. If you turn the basking lights off you then run the risk of food not being digested fully.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As @Jackie & Hellboy said, just keep the enclosure operating as normal. Make sure you're offering fresh water in case she wakes up. Just continue doing things as you were except feeding. She'll adjust as she needs to. Bask if needed, drink if needed, etc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029