• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation Poll

Does your tegu hibernate?

• Yes( I change lighting and heat)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes( I don't change anything)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No( I still adjust lighting and heat)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No( I don't change anything

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

anelk002

5 Year Member
I'm taking a poll on whether or not your tegu hibernates or not. The choices are yes, I encourage it(by lowering lighting and temps), yes even though I keep everything the same, no even though I try(by lowering temps and lighting) or no and I prefer he doesn't. You can also tell me whether yours is already hibernating or not. Mine is still wide awake and eating every day and I prefer if he doesn't but i wont force him to stay up if he does decide.

chriswizz

5 Year Member
anelk002 said:
I'm taking a poll on whether or not your tegu hibernates or not. The choices are yes, I encourage it(by lowering lighting and temps), yes even though I keep everything the same, no even though I try(by lowering temps and lighting) or no and I prefer he doesn't. You can also tell me whether yours is already hibernating or not. Mine is still wide awake and eating every day and I prefer if he doesn't but i wont force him to stay up if he does decide.
hi dont think your poll is working correctly, tried voteing but i just get a blank screen when i hit the vote button.
any how this is realy my first year of trying this, i didnt get my gues untill mid winter last year, so i kept them up, this year ive let them decide, ive reduced night time heat a little, & shotened the length of time my spot is on for in the day time, same bulb though. my blues do seem to be slowing down aspecially my male hes sleeping for about 4 days at a time, females are more active but refusing food so i think they will settle soon, but my argy b&w is wide awake & eating me out of house & home, which i dont get, i thought these were the ones most lightly to hybernate out of the 2. so time will tell.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Guru won't go down completely. He'll disappear for a day or two but still eats and poops like a champ. This will be his 3rd winter.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
This OS Godzilla first winter he has no signs of hibernating yet but he isn't eating as much now

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Diablo

5 Year Member
Yoshi is basically down. He goes down for a couple days and once I leave the lights off he comes back out. He can't make up his mind and it's worrying me. This is the first time I've dealt with hibernation so I don't want to mess anything up. I just worry when I don't see him cause I keep thinking he's like burrowed but dead or something. Just paranoia I know, but I don't wanna dig him up while he is hibernating so it's just kind of frustrating because I can't really check on him.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Niles sleeps a lot.comes out maybe once a day if that only for a very short 'bask ' or drink.totally walks over food.not even a bite now.even if i put it in his face.no food for weeks now.but still comes out on occasion...so...I keep putting light on and offer food 'just in case '.I'm nervous too cuz first tegu.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

agv0008

My hatch-ling Gil, is totally out. I pull him out every few days and offer him a pinky or two. I occasionally find "tail trails" in the substrate, proving that he walked over to the basking rock at some point, but that only happens every few days. He is very calm (possibly groggy) when I pull him out to offer food/wet his substrate. Sometimes he eats, sometimes not.

I haven't changed any of the temps or light times. He is so far buried under there, that he can't even see the light of day anyway. The room he is in can't really have the temps lowered because of the other "more social" reptiles that I have.

I was worried about all this at first, but it doesn't really concern me anymore. Every time I check on him, he is fine. His tail is still fat.

I am just glad I got to interact with him when I got him. Once he started burying himself all the way down to the bottom of the tank, I just let him be.

I don't really know how long he plans on being buried down there, but whatever floats his boat, I guess.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Ok so niles is def in full hibernation.i have lights off now and heat pad on low 'just in case '.and 2 water bowls as well as i try to keep misting. He's buried but once i got nervous and 'checked ' on him by stroking his back and he moved so I was reassured he's alive. :/ this is so new and weird to me...i hope he wakes up before march. Ugh. I miss him so much. I was gone, living at 2 hospitals, from dec 3 to 11 because my daughter's lung collapsed. When i got back i checked him and that's when he moved. Should i do these periodic checks or just trust he's ok?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Sorry about your daughter hooe she gets better Godzilla is up at full blast amd growing my beardie is in a light brumation right now lol she bound to go down soon and the skink is still up also

from Samsung Galaxy S3

LuvMyReptiles

All of my critters are hiding but still eat some but not as much. If I get them out they are very active. Hibernation is also very new to me.