• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

hibernation needed?

Neeko

I've seen some people let them, don't let them. Is there any negative psychological effect if they don't. Also does it extent their life as well?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The onlything effected by hibernation is growth and some believe, their breeding capabilities, however i will say, as been stated many times, you cant keep a tegu from hibernating, if they choose to go down let them, you can cause some serious damage trying to force them to stay up

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Guru is a year and did not hibernate this last winter. Gary and Rango are 2 and they have never hibernated. I'm almost positive they will this year, my thoughts on why they didn't before was their previous health. Tegus will hibernate whether you want them to or not, its natural for them. I agree growth and breeding capabilities are results from hibernation. Growth however will resume once they wake up, tegus who hibernate still reach an average size they just do it slower than ones who do not hibernate.

Neeko

reptastic said:
The onlything effected by hibernation is growth and some believe, their breeding capabilities, however i will say, as been stated many times, you cant keep a tegu from hibernating, if they choose to go down let them, you can cause some serious damage trying to force them to stay up

Slower growth means longer life span?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No not necessarily, as long as the husbandry needs are met a non hibernating tegu will live just as long as a tegu that did hibernate

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu