• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Herping injuries?

Beazer

5 Year Member
If you guys have photos of your herping injuries or stories of injuries post em! I don't have any photos of injuries... well one thats really gross lol. Worst pain I have ever been in. Lots of stories though. Also, if anybodys an AZ local. Feel free to hit me up for herping. Don't worry, I leave my chainsaw and rope in the back of the car.

This was the worst pain ive been in. I was photographing stuff with my friend in the field and a few days with no showers. These little catepillars were falling from the trees onto us kind chewing on us. So I finally got sick of about the 20th one and it hurt a bit so I flicked it off and scratched like crazy. I ended up breaking the skin and transferring a staph infection. The only one I've ever had but later found out my friend gets staph infections so me being around him made me more prone at the time. So after waiting til the thing swelled up and tried draining myself and every little touch hurt like a mofo. I finally went to the ER at the hospital my mom worked at.... They asked "let me guess.... you tried to drain it and puss came out with black blood"... "mmhmm"..."let me guess, youre mom told you to go to the doc and you didnt... "mmhmmm". Lol, so then they take me in and later find out they couldnt numb it cause they didnt want to spread the staph or something of that sort. So, they snipped tissue, scraped, snipped, scrapped, of course cleaning between. I was staring at it the whole time too. Then finally I ended up with a drain and pressure bandage that looked like I tried to kill myself via my wrist. Now its healed up into a small scar. The bug bite was not what caused it. It was me scratching the area... Enjoy.

(this photo was taken several days later after the first drain was taken out to be replaced and the wound cleaned.)
ew.jpg

-Jon DeLong

Azaleah

5 Year Member
I got bitten by a penguin once XD

But that doesn't really count, because it has nothing to do with herping lol

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Meh, I rarely take pics when I get injuries related to herping, as I don't want to turn people away from herpetology. If I find any, I'll post 'em here.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ow, that sucks. My mother had a staff infection and almost died. You're lucky.

Beazer

5 Year Member
I dont think injuries really turn people away from herpetology unless its like some big snake bite or venomous bite or anything envolving the animal itself. Even then if you are going to be a herper you really have to be passionate about animals cause it will be a big disappointment. Especially if you are discouraged by a story of a boo boo lol. Thats the only injury Ive taken a pic of. Ive had a lot though. Just makes a good story. Though, I do kind of like the herping community to be a little small cause a lot of people do habitat destruction/local spitters, even among long time herpers.

-Jon DeLong

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus