• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Herpin' Connecticut style

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
To make a short story long... Today we brought our Yellow Footed Tortoise to a local rescue. When we pulled into the driveway we found one of my wifes former students. Then we met the rest of the family. We brought our big Red Tegu because most people have never seen one. We all hit it off great. They let the tortoise wander around the house along with the Tegu. Then we took them outside. We all basked in the sun until the clouds took over. Some how we left with more critters than we came with!!(??) Our kids were given a couple of 2 year old Russian Tortoises. Here we go again!!! After lunch at Arby's we took the Red Tegu to a local pet store to show him off. As usual most kids were fascinated and most adults were terrified!

To get on topic, when we got home the kids did a little herpin' in the back yard. They found a "fierce" Northern Brown snake and a "huge" toad.

IMG_0171_.jpg

IMG_0172_.jpg

Thanks for not laughing!! Even if you did!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nice...I've been wanting to start a "What's in your backyard" thread. I was just gonna wait until I went herpin so I could post some pics along with the topic.

Cool finds!

mastroj

That sounds like an awesome time, you must have to look long and hard to find fellow herpers in CT. Almost everyone I know is put off by them.

Pikey

5 Year Member
thats an awesome snake i've never seen one like that in NY i wish i did.... But thats a big Bufo Americanus (looks about 3 1/2"?) e have 2 of them ones a li'l darker than that one and the other is black/brown & red

ThrillHouse

Pikey said:
thats an awesome snake i've never seen one like that in NY i wish i did.... But thats a big Bufo Americanus (looks about 3 1/2"?) e have 2 of them ones a li'l darker than that one and the other is black/brown & red

thanks for answering!

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Dave those pics are awesome!

I recently came back from AZ on a herping trip with Chris and I loved how you could go for a hike, get exercise, and be herping at the same time. Anyway, when I got back to NJ I started to get depressed that I never see reptiles around here. I was even complaining on the morning that we went on a hike recently. It's like my wishes were granted because we stumbled upon a large black rat snake while hiking! It was awesome. I'll have to post up my pics soon.

carcharios

5 Year Member
Herpin Maryland Style...

Here are some reptiles I've taken photos of at Flag's Pond Nature Center in Southern MD. If you head out in the morning, you can find all sorts of critters running along the boardwalk that leads to the Chesapeake Bay. Shown here are a hognose snake, a black rat snake (or a racer) - not sure, an eastern fence lizard, and the cousin of our tegu, the racerunner. The black snake was up about 15 feet in a tree. It freaked out the family that was ahead of me on the trail. It's not often that I see snakes in trees around here. In Costa Rica I'd expect that but not so much in southern MD.

I've also seen copperheads and hundreds of 5 lined skinks on this trail as well, not to mention several species of frogs and two species of toads. We used to have a ton of green tree frogs in the area but two summers ago they vanished. I went from seeing an average of 6 or 7 a night to only two specimens all last summer. This summer I've yet to see one, even with the unseasonably warm weather. We still get plenty of gray tree frogs and spring peepers. Makes you wonder what is going on...

P1010006.jpg

P9100028.jpg

P9100066.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_6210.jpg

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6193.jpg

carcharios

5 Year Member
All these specimens are from Flag Pond's Nature Center. Its about 1/2 south of Annapolis on the Western Shore. Beautiful part that leads out to the Bay so you can hit both the forest as well as the beach habitats. The racerunners are only found close to the beach, as they prefer sandy soils, etc. Super fast too!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu