• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

HELP!

BillieJeAn

my columbian is trying to escape. he has an awful boody nose now from jumping and hitting the top of the cage :((((((( what can i do?!?!?!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm assuming you have a screen top on the cage. If that is what us chewing his nose up cover the inside with aluminum foil.

How big is the cage and the tegu? What are the temps and humidity in the cage?

BillieJeAn

okay, will do!

basking spot 96 cooler side about 85
humidity is 73%
its a 40 gallon i think. 2.5 feet long 1.5 feet wide. he's only about a foor long.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm not sure about Colombian temps, but 85 seems a little hot for a cool side. Try getting it down to 78-80.

BillieJeAn

The Colombian tegu is a tropical species and should be kept warm with a fairly stable temperature gradient.
Ambient temperature should be approximately 85° F with a basking spot of 100° to 110° F. Nighttime
temperatures should be about 75°

i just copy and pasted that, but its about what they all say. i'll try lowering it though, to see if that helps

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lower the cool side temps and raise the hot. Korbens cool side fluctuates between 75* - 80* and his basking spot ranges from (substrate level) 95* - 115* (top of his tree).

jdpFL

Lol billie...too funny. I'm curious to see if the temp change helps. Wonder if since there are so many cb's for so long, they evolve to get used to cooler temps than they'd have on the wild? Next they will want mini window units in the cage...lol. But seriously, I've often wondered if they evolve a little due to being pets. ?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know he is still small, but a larger enclosure may ease his curious mind and stop the jumping.

new2tegus

You could always put a mirror covering the mesh, lol. Just kidding, do you keep anything on top of the cage? Mine has gotten bored of his enclosure too, try to get him in the tub or bathroom to walk around some. Good luck, I hope it all works out.

ClockworkCarrion

mine usually only jumps up and tries to get out when he wants me to feed him. after i do he settles down and burrows n hides until he wants more food. he does it a few times a day so sometimes i just give him one small item as a treat if he has already had a big meal. pretty much all of my pets do something like that to get a treat, they learned i give in very easily. a couple of them throw tantrums if i dont get their treats fast enough lol.

BillieJeAn

james.w said:
I know he is still small, but a larger enclosure may ease his curious mind and stop the jumping.

i'm not keeping him much longer, but o guess it wouldnt hurt to get him one a little bigger. i was thinking about that yesterday, he seems to of grown a lor in the past month

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
At that age, they get like that. They can see the top of the enclosure and it so close! Covering it with foil on the inside is a good idea, but keep in mind that it will raise the temps inside. I keep my Colombians at 80 degrees ambient, cool side, too; basking is 105-ish; night time drops to 75-78. Feeding more and allowing outside time in some way would help.

babyyitslove

LOL....you're going to be shocked when I tame that little Guy! Time and patience is the key.

Speaking of which, am I able to house two juvi columbians together in a 6 1/2 foot long, 4 foot deep, 3 1/2 foot tall enclosure? Or should I house them seperately?

Dirtydmc

BillieJeAn said:
Dirtydmc said:
Dozer does that. He is saying to let him out! So I do. And he is just fine.

i would let him out. if i could touch him.

The employees at the store I got mine from handled him daily before I got him. Lucky me didnt have to tame him down. They would put him in a large tub of water and let him swim his energy away so they could handle him.

BillieJeAn

babyyitslove said:
LOL....you're going to be shocked when I tame that little Guy! Time and patience is the key.

Speaking of which, am I able to house two juvi columbians together in a 6 1/2 foot long, 4 foot deep, 3 1/2 foot tall enclosure? Or should I house them seperately?

i hope you do, he's not mean really just frightened.
i would keep a close eye if you plan on housing him with another, he goes at the dogs through his cage. he's a fiesty booger :p

babyyitslove

The little Guy we have now is pretty defensive at first approach, but wen he realizes I'm the same person from last time, he relaxes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu