• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help!!

mpassaro

I originally posted this in the "General Discussion" forum, before I saw this forum. I apologize for the double post.

So, 3 weeks ago I moved my tegu from his temporary glass tank to his new permanent enclosure. He is 8 months old. The following day, I went to take him out. I slid open the glass door and he lunged at my hand. I then had my wife hold him (he's used to her too) while I cleaned the sand/soil that came out of the tank. He bit her and drew blood. I then took him back, he bit me and drew blood!! I could sort of understand him lunging at me in the enclosure, he may be territorial, even though he wasn't with the smaller enclosure. A few nights later, I went to take him out to feed him. I moved my hand slowly toward him at his eye level to pet him. He bit me real good. Felt like my finger was being squashed and I bled like crazy, LOL! This is only since I moved him to his new tank. Since I got him at a month old, he's never been aggressive. Now, he hisses, puffs up, and squirms like crazy when I try to pick him up. I realize that his whole environment changed, but I thought that he'd be settling in by now. Clearly, he isn't. I've been bit 3 times this week, even out of the enclosure. I've resorted to not even putting my hand in the cage to get him. I just open his doors and wait for him to come to me. He does, and then he bites me, lol. Even when he's out of the enclosure, he tries to bite. He's currently eating a day old chick and 2 f/t "hopper" mice a day. I'm really frustrated because I spent countless hours in the past 7 months handling him specifically so that this type of thing could be avoided. Anyone have any ideas what may be going on? His temps/humidity are on point. Thank you!

Jrock23

You gotta love them love bites LOL.. Sounds like you have yourself a golden tegu.. But what are your temps/humidity/cool/hot sides..What is the size of the new enclosure? and you shouldn't have to clean sand/soil if you have a bio active substrate.

mpassaro

I know he's an Argentine B&W for sure. The sand/soil I cleaned had fallen on to the floor, I didn't mean I cleaned it from his enclosure. The new enclosure is 8x3x3, 74% humidity, cool side is 76 and hot side is 115.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980