• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help w/ Chuckwalla (UPDATE: new pics and looking better)

Beazer

5 Year Member
Re: Help w/ Chuckwalla (UPDATE: the good and the bad)

That is strange. Sometimes the stomach bacteria could be fudged up a bit. If he's not basking that is definitely strange. Though, you definitely dont want them basking under light a ton cause that typically means the temps arent hot enough. Definitely try tweaking with the temps and getting to knwo your ambient temperatures as well. Is there any way your vet tech buddy can do a free or low cost fecal and swab its mouth? I hate trying to do stuff over the net cause its easier to analyze a situation better in person. Best of luck :/.

-Jon DeLong

Beazer

5 Year Member

Also, even though they are from harsh conditions, he may be dehydrated. I would suggest taking him to the vet and if possible, even an X-ray. They are not collected in the friendliest of ways and may even have internal injuries. He is definitely going to need a true reptile vet and injected with some vitamins to boost him up.

ashesc212

5 Year Member

I got him into the vet today. The nose rub turned into dermatitis so he is now on Silvadene which is stronger than neosporin. Also, he gave him an injection of Baytril and wants me to provide it orally 2 x per day as well. He didn't poop on time this morning but I'm bringing a poop sample in soon. He said that he is dehydrated and 100% wild caught based on his behavior. He suggested baths 2 x per day and also trying to get him to drink 1 part gatorade to 5 parts water. Of course, he has a water bowl inside his cage anyway which he probably won't drink out of.

When I mentioned internal injuries he said that he would already be dead if he had those and when he performed the physical everything appeared to be good. I have to bring him back in 2 weeks, plus get this fecal done within the next week or so. Then we might do some baseline blood work.

The vet tech works for the reptile vet.

As for ambient temps, it is all within range. I have been checking it every day. He has one cooler end which fluctuates between 83-86. The end of his cage with the basking spot has an ambient temp of around 95. His basking spot is now 107. He still is not sitting on it. That is where his UVB is coming from though. Home Depot didn't have the 3' T8 size (Reptisun size) light fixtures that normally I install to provide additional UVB. It's kind of strange because they had it last time that I set up my bearded dragon's enclosure. So the MVB is the sole source of UVB right now.

Oh also, the vet said that he is markedly underweight (yes, we know). But he really thinks that is because of the 3+ weeks it took him to adjust where he didn't eat at all except what was force fed to him. He thinks that he will start packing on the weight now that he is eating.

Beazer

5 Year Member

Thats good to hear. Im not sure I've ever heard of dermatitis on a lizard or snake? Though, technically anything with inflamation of the skin is dermatitis. Did he mean to say stamitis? I hope the float goes well.

Its hard to tell with dehydration on a lizard like them just because they are already so wrinkly, but he eyes sinking in are always a good indicator. The biggest thing with w.c. desert animals is people dont realize during capture that if they urinate, or with stress, they lose their hydration. Chuckwallas collected in the wild get it really rough, between the crowbars to break open the rocks and the techniques they use to yank them out of their crevice when inflated. Its really good that you are getting the best care for him possible now. I hope the float comes out okay.

I forgot to ask. Now that he's started eating. What has he been feeding on? I wish yall the best of luck.

Beazer

5 Year Member

I always forget to add something. Pedyalite (spelling?) works awesome. I use it on all my dehydrated animals or even as a "shotgun" treatment for the species that typically come in dehydrated even if they look healthy just for a boost.

slideaboot

5 Year Member

Beazer said:
I always forget to add something. Pedyalite (spelling?) works awesome. I use it on all my dehydrated animals or even as a "shotgun" treatment for the species that typically come in dehydrated even if they look healthy just for a boost.

I definitely second the pedialyte recommendation. The stuff works wonders...

ashesc212

5 Year Member

Call me crazy but just from 2 days of antibiotics, the cream, and forced hydration his eyes already appear to be healthier!

Nessie

Thats great that you are seeing improvements with your Chuck!
I had a beardie that was a sorry case and was on her way out. She was just a little one and she was at the point of not even being able to hold her head up. She hadnt touched food in weeks and was a gonner. I had to pick her up to see if she was still breathing. I talked to a guy and he asked if I was bathing her in Gatorade. I had heard of giving them gatorade but not bathing. So I started bathing her in warm gatorade (100% gatorade) 3-4 times a day. At first I had to hold her tiny head out of the water and she wouldn't even open her eyes. I would use my finger and drop some on her nose and she started opening her mouth to catch the odd droplet and whithin a week she was eating again. Took her a while to get coordination enough to chase a cricket but food was food! Started with soft worms, greens and then before I new it she was eating like a champ and is the healthiest and most enthusiastic eater I have ever seen! Whether she drank the gatorade or not it was being absorbed in her skin made the world of difference. Not to forget the "beautiful" faux orange it left behind!

G

Wow, that's an amazing story!!

ashesc212

5 Year Member

Nessie, that is an awesome story! I'm glad that you experienced such a turnaround!

Chuck keeps looking better and better and is putting on some weight! He was 180 grams and now hes is 205. =)

He's also becoming a lot tamer and seems to enjoy spending time with me sometimes.

Also, his face is healing but it's probably going to be a while and a few sheds before it looks normal again, however.

Here are some pics from today (sorry for the poor quality):

Attachments

• chuckgettingbetter2comp.jpg
    514 bytes · Views: 27
  • chuck getting better comp.jpg
    514 bytes · Views: 17

Nessie

Yes he looks much better then he did in the last couple picutres. They are very interesting looking reptiles. I read up on them a bit before I decided on a Tegu.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! He's improving so quickly. He ate a huge salad today and almost everyday this week so far. He turning into such a friendly little guy too.

Julie Hutchings

Re: Help w/ Chuckwalla

Leave the berries whole, though maybe just break a few open. Basking area should be around 115F-120F (check the surface temp with your hand too).

Dimensions for one I would do a minimum of 4' W x 2.5' D x 2' H and lots of crevices (something similar to the Retes stack might work good).

Retes Stack: http://usera.imagecave.com/tengkunovalrizky/retes_stack_double.jpg

Best of luck to you, I am glad the animal is in good hands atleast. They are one of my favorite animals to work with.

-Jon DeLong

Julie Hutchings

Hello chuckwalla owner and John!

I bought a chuck about two weeks ago at the Manchester reptile expo and I have a feeling we bought from the same vendor. Not so forthcoming, thought it was a female (he's not), and I have never once seen him eat. He defecates every day and it seems normal. I bathe him, mist him (which he seems to like), and he's active with clear eyes. I brought him to a great reptile vet who gave him a protozoan treatment and said nothing appears to be wrong. I'll be starting him on baby food with a syringe today, and DEFINTIELY will give him Gatorade baths, thanks to this forum. Was wondering if there's anything else you'd recommend? He's in a 20 high with sand substrate, ample hiding spots and places to wedge himself in, temp is right.... he also shows the need to be out often, and I have a screen cage on the way to give him instead, which worked great for my water dragon, though I worry about the temps. Any info you all have on chuckwallas is welcome! I love this little guy and really want to see him thrive. Thank you!

--Julie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced