• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

HELP! TEGU WONT EAT

Spencer King

I have a golden tegu (4-5 months old) and have had him for about 3 weeks now and the first two weeks were great, he was tamed so quick, so nice, and ate great. But 4 days ago he stopped eating. Completely. He will not eat ANYTHING I have tried everything!! I don't know what to do. Please someone. HELP.

Jrock23

Is your tegu eating now? But just don't focus feed, as long as there is no weight lost. Then you have nothing to worry about.. I've also read in research that golden tegus do not go into hibernation! If, by any chance your tegu is still not getting. Then I would double check temps and humidity and basking areas.. Also most tegu do slow down on eating doing this season, are you leaving food daily or are you hand feeding daily?

Spencer King

He is eating a little bit more now... I leave food daily making sure he sees that I am the one who puts the food in. His cage conditions could definitely be better, but the problem with having a cage with glass (better for humidity) is that Leviathan attacks the glass relentlessly, legitimate hours he will bash his head into the glass. I have a tub I had to switch to a week ago. The temps are perfect but the humidity is at about 70 percent which I feel really bad about.. Any suggestions on what I could do? I thought maybe getting more absorbent insulation on the walls will increase the humidity. By the way when I say "tub" I am saying a very large tub (6' x 2.5' x 3') [lwh].

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Better than even chance his RI was caused in part by cold temps. Make sure he can get as hot as he needs to AND have a cooler gradient. High RH good but make sure that air moves some. don't want stale/stuffy.

Actually, if the glass tank isn't too small, I'd put him back in and newspaper the three sides entirely on the outside and the lower half of the front.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980