• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help! Recurring Prolapse?

Shreve

My yearling had her second anal prolapse in two months last night, and it was a really bad one- the first was too. After treating it with a cool sugar water bath and letting her sleep on a bed of damp clean paper towels overnight it reduced and disappeared on its own just like last time. The vet can't find anything wrong. I'm not sure why this is happening as she's not impacted, not dehydrated, gets a balanced diet, has no signs of parasites, and her enclosure is plenty spacious and humid. I'm worried it will keep happening or she'll die.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I'm not that experienced with prolapse, but did have an impacted Tegu that needed help, and prolapsed once. One of the things I read at that time was that there's nothing wrong with gently assisting the prolapse back into the vent. I understood that when the tissue that's protruding dries out, it is harder for it to correct itself. Also - I would expect that if you can deal with that, it might help to prevent it from becoming chronic.

Dylan koch

I have experience with this. One of my 4 tegus had reaccuring prolapses for a few weeks. I solved it once it got a impacted poop out which was caused by feeding in enclosure which I dont do now! And Is main cause of prolapses because when flinging food it gets substrate and dirt and mulch and they eat it. But I would give warm baths with sugar and massage with gentle pressure from stomach down towards cloaca with both hands. Like my circle with hands tegu inside circle and only squeeze gently downward. After days of this it pooped it out. But I kept having to use non spermicidal lube and a rubber glove to push its cloaca gently back in after soak and massage every time but first while soaking rub all debris and dirt off. Because infection and impactions can kill! Awkwardly enough after this my aggressive tegu and I formed a bond because I saved his life. And was no longer aggressive. It had lost alot of weight over the month. Hope this helps I'll try and answer any questions

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu