• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help! My Tegu Fell!

JabbatheRedTegu

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, so last night something happened that scared the living heck out of me. I was holding Jabba, my 4 month old Red Tegu who is the best thing since sliced bread, when he suddenly (and unlike him) jumped out of my hand and fell to the hard-wood floor. When I picked him back up, he dragged his 2 back legs and wobbled side-to-side, as if his balance was thrown off and his back or hind legs were broken.
I immediately put him back in his cage and he was walking around the entire length of his 6 foot cage, as his legs dragged behind him. I called 2 emergency vets and they both told me to watch him to see if he was stunned and was just in momentary shock or something.
About 15 minutes later, I went back into the room and he was walking a little bit better, using his hind legs to prop his body up and walk, but partially dragging his right leg as if he was beginning to regain (but not full) mobility.
I anxiously waited another 30 minutes, and when I came back to the cage, he had full mobility and nothing seemed wrong. An hour later I took him out and he was a bit faster-moving than normal, but neither nasty nor showing any signs of aches or pains.
So, as the vet told me to wait it out, does anyone else have a feeling that I should be going to get him check out? Or does it seem the problem has fixed itself and maybe he was just stunned from his first major fall?

To top it all off, I just got him on Sunday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? heÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s pretty angry at me lol.

Thanks again everyone, for taking the time to look at this post!

- Mike (& Jabba the Red Tegu) :grno

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
JabbatheRedTegu said:
Hey everyone, so last night something happened that scared the living heck out of me. I was holding Jabba, my 4 month old Red Tegu who is the best thing since sliced bread, when he suddenly (and unlike him) jumped out of my hand and fell to the hard-wood floor. When I picked him back up, he dragged his 2 back legs and wobbled side-to-side, as if his balance was thrown off and his back or hind legs were broken.
I immediately put him back in his cage and he was walking around the entire length of his 6 foot cage, as his legs dragged behind him. I called 2 emergency vets and they both told me to watch him to see if he was stunned and was just in momentary shock or something.
About 15 minutes later, I went back into the room and he was walking a little bit better, using his hind legs to prop his body up and walk, but partially dragging his right leg as if he was beginning to regain (but not full) mobility.
I anxiously waited another 30 minutes, and when I came back to the cage, he had full mobility and nothing seemed wrong. An hour later I took him out and he was a bit faster-moving than normal, but neither nasty nor showing any signs of aches or pains.
So, as the vet told me to wait it out, does anyone else have a feeling that I should be going to get him check out? Or does it seem the problem has fixed itself and maybe he was just stunned from his first major fall?

To top it all off, I just got him on Sunday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? heÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s pretty angry at me lol.

Thanks again everyone, for taking the time to look at this post!

- Mike (& Jabba the Red Tegu) :grno

I agree with the vet. if you see signs of trouble get him to the vet. when in doubt take to the vets is good advice.

JD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.