• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

hello.

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
Just introducing my noob self, here.

I'm a 32 year old feller from Lexington KY by way of Cincinnati. I've been keeping lizards (and the occaisional snake) since I was 15.

Currently I keep one red ridgetail monitor and one argentine b&w. May expand this summer if finances permit. I've had the monitor for approx. 5 years and the tegu is going on 2. They've both been relatively easy captives, with the occaisional issue that is fairly easily resolved given a little work. They are voracious feeders.

I work for Toyota on the assembly line. I've been there for about five years now.

Other interests are reading (just about anything), going to zoos and museums (been to 40 North American zoos), watching and betting on pro football (my team is the Bengals. Yeah, I know.), going to rock festivals, and hanging out with my fiancee and our border collie.

It's good to be here and get the opportunity to talk tegus with other enthusiasts.

Markie

5 Year Member
Welcome!!

I think it's awesome that you've been to so many zoos.. I would love to go to more!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PICT0009-2.jpg

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome, that is awesome stuff, I doubt I've hit more than 10-15 zoos and everywhere I go I look for em :) .

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
Thanks, everyone.

Interesting note about the zoos: I thought I'd seen as many as anyone. Then I joined a forum for zoo enthusiasts around the world. I learned that I'd seen nothing compared with some folks, espescially in European nations like Germany and the Netherlands. I also found out that there a a lot of good zoos in the American South, a place where I live but have seen only one (Audubon in New Orleans). Jacksonville, Atlanta and Memphis are on my "to do" list this summer. Now if I could only get access to White Oak Conservation Park.......

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
tupinambisfamiliaris said:
Thanks, everyone.

Interesting note about the zoos: I thought I'd seen as many as anyone. Then I joined a forum for zoo enthusiasts around the world. I learned that I'd seen nothing compared with some folks, espescially in European nations like Germany and the Netherlands. I also found out that there a a lot of good zoos in the American South, a place where I live but have seen only one (Audubon in New Orleans). Jacksonville, Atlanta and Memphis are on my "to do" list this summer. Now if I could only get access to White Oak Conservation Park.......

Lowery park zoo in Birmingham Alabama is a good one, and Bush Gardens in Tampa Florida is great as well.

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
Busch is on the list as well. They're keeping gharials now, so it's a must see for me. Lowry Park has gotten into some hot water lately. I've heard thye have a great collection with so-so exhibits. Kind of reminds me of my home zoo, Cincy. Astounding collection with some awful exhibits. Miami Metrozoo also looks like it could be one of the best in the country. Their new South American section has giant otters and Orinoco crocs, so it's something definately worth seeing. Good croc collection from what I hear.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Welcome to TeguTalk! I hope that you get the chance to expand that collection this summer if that is what you desire. I, too, have seen quite of few of the American zoos. We made a habit of traveling in the summers when my kids were growing up. I think one of my all time favorites was the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs. It wasn't their collection that was so astounding but the zoo setting itself was magnificent, built on the side of a mountain. I did really enjoy their exhibit of spectacled bears and the Nile hippos. Another favorite was the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. Unfortunately the closest zoo to me is the Detroit Zoo which is a major disappointment. I tend to travel the extra hour to visit the Toledo Zoo instead, it's much nicer.

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
It's odd that you mention Detroit. I'll be visiting there this summer and have actually heard some good things about it. A lot of people in the zoo community consider Arctic Ring of Life to be the best polar bear exhibit on the planet. That's quite an accomplishment considering the fact that they are one of the most difficult species to house in captivity. I've also heard the chimp exhibit is among the best. From what I've heard it's a zoo with some shortcomings, but also some outstanding exhibits.

Been to Toledo as well. It's cool. I liked the hippo exhibit there. They had tuataras at the time, too which was very cool. You don't see them every day.

Oh, and you should definately visit Columbus if you haven't already. It's becoming one of the best in the country. It's got to be the best geographically organized zoo I've ever seen. It's also growing like crazy. They open a new polar/Kodiak bear exhibit this year. In two years, they plan to complete a 70 acre African savannah. That's bigger than the entire Cincinnati Zoo! Currently they have a great Asian section, the best North American section anywhere, a nice Australasian region with a cool outdoor Komodo yard and rarely seen kiwis and tiger quolls, and a terrific African forest. Make the drive, you won't be disappointed.

It's a close second to my favorite, the Bronx.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.