1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!
    Dismiss Notice

Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by KlausfromCA, Dec 21, 2019.

1. KlausfromCA

KlausfromCA New Member

Hello everyone this is Klaus greeting from LA, I'm new here and I'm new for tegu. I'm plan to get a tegu on reptile show on January. I just starting doing my research for tegu just in case I know what will happen ahead time. I have my enclosure ready is a 2x4x4 close chamber enclosure, two light fixture on each side, the center has a tube light fixture for UVB light (If tegu needs I do not know yet). I have been keep my spotted turtles and blue tongue skin for 1 years, so I got some experience for keeping reptiles. If there are anything I need to know or any recommend color for the tegu I'm about to getting please let me know, very appreciate!
  2. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club 5 Year Member

Welcome. Research the vendor. Plenty of unscrupulous vendors out there, even at shows.

An adultcArgentine or Red will tequire at least 8 ft X 4 ft for length and width.

Yoyng'uns grow quickly to about 3 ft in a year.

Check out posts. Lots of good info. by evermore experienced keepers.
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Administrator

Welcome to the Forum!
  4. KlausfromCA

KlausfromCA New Member

For sure,thank you!
  5. Debita

Debita Active Member

Don't forget to consider the Florida rescues that are sold by Rodney Irwin. Great Black and White Argentine Tegus, and he's easy to talk with to get what you want. His prices are better too. I have 2 of them, and they're beauties.
    KlausfromCA likes this.
  6. Walter1

My personal favorite.
  7. Debita

Debita Active Member

Hey Walter1!!
    Here's a couple of pics of them today - Skully, (2yrs old) the 48" male - and Captain, the smaller female almost a yr old. 20200106_161203 - Edited.jpg 20191118_130823 (2020-01-06T23_37_36.976).jpg

Husband standing in as the Tegu handler.
  8. Walter1

They look great. Amazing jowls on Skully. When mine emerge in March, I'll send a photo of Oscar. Could be Skully's twin.
  9. Debita

Debita Active Member

Ha! That's incredible! Is Oscar your new addition after Rosita's departure? (and thanks!)
  10. Walter1

Oscar's my first with Rosita. A few years older than Skully. Itching for him to wake up for a photo. These males get beefy for sure. Another Rodney male I have, Jingles, is now showing jowls.
  11. Debita

Debita Active Member

Beefy is the word. You'd think they were pumping iron every hour (instead of leisurely processing their food under the sun lamp)..... Y'know - Skully is about 2 now, and has never brumated yet. Not really worried about it but I wonder why he doesn't give me a break? :rolleyes:
    Walter1 likes this.
  12. AlphaAlpha

AlphaAlpha Well-Known Member

They both look great Debita and wow yes skully is a beast ...... I can only imagine the brute force of an Argentine but at times I'm glad as Alpha is powerful enough when hes been a d*#k.
    Debita likes this.
  13. Debita

Debita Active Member

Hahahaha! Everyone purchasing a Tegu should know there are those moments, right? My thumb is fully healed, but I will never forget the hydraulic vice grip he had on me. Over half my thumb was being held hostage........Beefy Beasts!!!!
  14. Walter1

Debita, no more Mickey Mouse hats on your thumb!
  15. Debita

Debita Active Member

Hahaha....Tongs, tongs, tongs. I felt a strange parental pride in that grip of his.
    AlphaAlpha and Walter1 like this.