• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Heating

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
Okay. Just want to make sure i have a few things clear about heating with tegus, since hatching seems to be less than a month away..

With the reptiles i already have, I'm using a variety of heating methods.. I just like to try different things. I'm using a UTH for my Corn, Radiant heat panel for my Boa, CHE for my baby Retic, and "nighttime" heat bulbs for my Leos.. All on dimmers to control the temps. It all seems to be working fine, everyone is healthy and active, but is there any method that would be best for a tegu?

And, i'd really like to know about nighttime temperatures. With all the reptiles i have already, i use heating methods that i can leave on 24/7 so that i don't have to have a separate source for nighttime heat(with just the natural nighttime temp drop bringing it down a few degrees). Is this okay to do with tegus, or do they require a drastic nighttime temp drop? Should i get a separete nighttime heat source, or even stop heating altogether at night? I ask because i keep hearing people on here say that they cut off their heat lamps at night. It this just because they emit light, or is it important to cut off the heat? 'Cause i was thinking about using something like a CHE, leaving it on 24/7 so that the tegu can be warm whenever he feels like it, and having a separate UV light that i have on just during the day.

Mvskokee

5 Year Member
i have an under tank heater but as long as your house doesnt get to lwo at night you should be ok

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I turn off my Chacoan's daytime bulbs and switch to a single large infrared light for nighttime. It isn't as bright, is warm but not as warm, and luckily, I am used to sleeping with a red light on in my room, as I used to use infrared for my ball python before I switched to ceramic.

Oh, and fyi, my female Chacoan lives in my bedroom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029