• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

heat and humidity

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
110 would be the upper limit of basking, but it's more important they have a cooler area (upper 70's/lower 80's) to go to.

Over 80% might be to high, things could start molding.

Gx3

5 Year Member
Just a tip on the humidity because it can be fairly hard to keep humidity around 70% (which I would recommend), when you mix your substrate with water, I just poor one cup in at a time and mix it really well after every cup. Do this until the substrate is moist throughout but not overly wet. If you just poor a cup of water in every day or something it will not work, it will all just go to the bottom and your substrate will be soaked on bottom and dry on top, and if you mist it will only dampen the top for a short while until it evaporates.
I have my basking temp right around 100 (surface temp) and I keep the warm side of my tank around 85-low 90s (ambient) and the cool side around 75-low 80s.
Good luck!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Gx3 said:
Just a tip on the humidity because it can be fairly hard to keep humidity around 70% (which I would recommend), when you mix your substrate with water, I just poor one cup in at a time and mix it really well after every cup. Do this until the substrate is moist throughout but not overly wet. If you just poor a cup of water in every day or something it will not work, it will all just go to the bottom and your substrate will be soaked on bottom and dry on top, and if you mist it will only dampen the top for a short while until it evaporates.
I have my basking temp right around 100 (surface temp) and I keep the warm side of my tank around 85-low 90s (ambient) and the cool side around 75-low 80s.
Good luck!
I've experienced the exact same thing. I tried dumping water in and all that did was make mush on the bottom, the top was dry. Pouring in a little at a time and mixing thoroughly works well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029