• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

he won't come out

jwax17

so i went out of town for 3 days and my dad took care of my tegu. before i felt i had no problems really with taming him, but when i left and my dad would walk into my room my tegu would sprint for his hide and not come out. my dad was able to get him out once to eat but since ive been home he runs to his hide when he sees me and im concerned about him not eating for a few days, and i dont want to remove him from his hide, anyone have any suggestions?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Riplee said:
Remove the hide..

Agreed. Tough love, people may shun the idea but it worked for me when my gu's were young, I took Woodys hide out for a few days (now it's back in). Nowadays he's always out, walking around, and only retreats to his hide for a couple hours a day, and when lights go out.

Hally

I would interested to hear from people who feel that removing the hide is not the way forward and their reasons why. Diego is retreating to his hide a lot but I would feel quite uncomfortable removing it personally (on gut instinct rather than any understanding of the impact on a Tegu)

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can wait it out, a few days or even a week with out eating is not a big deal for a healthy tegu. If your dad never handled him before and or he's not use to your dads scent then that whole experience was a temporary set back. Especially for a young tegu still learning.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
What I did with my guy, is I would put my hand over the entrance to the hide. She would run over to the hide, poke my hand a few times and then relax enough for me to lift her up and take her to her feeding bin. If she was already in the hide, I always managed to get her out, by dangleing a cricket at the entrance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu