• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Have a savannah, next step up in the monitor world?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ummmh,...yeah coming from someone who actually wanted a monitor (Savannah) more than anything else when I was younger. I think a Savannah is actually a couple of steps down. They're pretty much all the same, no variety. Some might have and show a little bit of color (a few blotches and spots here and there) but that's about it. But thats just my opinion.

:bahi naw,...j/k (about the ban) :mrgreen: . We like all types here. :-D Post some pics, lets see whatcha got.

Terry

5 Year Member
Next step up, hmm. Maybe some V. tristis or either of the rock monitors. From what I've read and know pilbara and kimbery's can be pretty challenging. yes its gonna cost more then $50 for one of these animals, but its worth it.

Reflektr

5 Year Member
Some of the smaller monitors are just as cool as the larger ones in my opinion. Tree monitors can be pricey and difficult to come by, but the emeralds and blues are drop dead gorgeous. Dumeril's can be fairly docile, and they are really smart. Ackies are super cool as well as easy enough to breed. There is also a lot you can do as far as enclosure setups are concerned. And due to their size, why stop at just one?

A larger one that I really like is the argus. Not much for "tame" (that can be said for any monitor) but they are smarter than most people I know, and way entertaining to watch. I also like lacies and the ionides. Asian water monitors are one of my favs as far as really large monitors go. Very intelligent and you can do so much with their enclosure that would make keeping one a blast for you and the monitor.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Companion, challenge, breeding project, display?

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
I would suggest moving up to a pair of Ackie monitors or maybe some Storres, depending on how much room you have. If you want something a little bigger try a Sand Monitor, there is one on Kingsnake.com for sale for $200.

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Yeah I kept a pair of those for a while, but the pair I had hadn't had good lives before, seeing as I rescued them. Apparently they became skittish before I got them so never quite as tame as others I have seen. I made what I believe was the right decision by giving them to a school which has them in a large cage with a lot of places to hide. I visited them a week or two ago and they are healthy and happy.

Terry

5 Year Member
A tree isn't a step up. There among they most difficult monitor there is to keep. I woud def look into the dwarfs species or maybe one of Bobby's giant tegu's.

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Yeah,
Tree Monitors are incredibly difficult to keep alive, and almost impossible to have flourish in captivity. Definitely go for an ackie if you want another monitor, although Storres are nice too.

Terry

5 Year Member
Where are you located? States or Canada? There aren't to many storres breed in the us and I know a breeder of them in Canada. I would really consides the V.tristis tristis. They are starting to get popular in the us and canada. I also know a breeder in the us that I could hook you up with. I would suggest a 4x2x4 cage for one do to them liking to climb to. Here a pic of one.

tristis2-1-1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu