• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Growth Rate

Gx3

5 Year Member
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has any notes or anything about their tegus growth rate? I know that tegus grow really fast, but in the little time I have had mine (about a week and a half) he has already grown from about 9" to over 12" and is much bigger (legs, abdomen, etc) and he just got done shedding. I am feeding him ground turkey as a staple and a fuzzy every 2 days (he often eats turkey with the fuzzy too), and I fed him some scrambled eggs too. I have been letting him eat as much as he wants in about 10 minutes or so and it seems to be enough time for him to gorge himself. Is this normal? And is it possible for me to overfeed him at such a young age? I have no problem with him being big though hehe.

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
naw, fill him up till he's full. you only have to limit an adult tegus diet, let em stuff himself silly.

they grow crazy big in spurts. i saw 10" in a month one time on groxy, so 3" in a week is possible.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our 16 month old B&W was sick when we got her so her growth was very slow for the first few months. But I'm seeing large growth such as 2.5" in 3 weeks, 2" in less than 2 weeks, 5.5" in 5 weeks. So 1" a week looks to be an average growth rate.

olympus

5 Year Member
IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

jor71

5 Year Member
Here are some updated pics of mine. Not as big as yours Olympus, but he is growing :)

028.JPG

030.JPG

031.JPG

020.JPG

I added the last one because I thought it was an awesome shot :)

olympus

5 Year Member
Hey jor the color on yours looks pretty hot I like that. As for what I feed him, two to three fuzzies a day and every third day I dust them with reptivite vitamins from zoo med and some cod liver oil... Mine eats fuzzies every day though he will not eat ground turkey or worms....

jor71

5 Year Member
Thanks Olympus, he does have awesome colors. When is it a good time to start feeding them fuzzies? I was planning on getting him some within the end of next month. As I stated earlier, he is 16" long and by this rate, he will be over 19" and will have more girth to him by that time.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
how big would a year old black and white male be

It will vary. It depends on what and how they were fed and if they were hibernated or not.

A hibernated year old male will probably be around 20-30" and a non hibernated male can reach 4 ft within a year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980