• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Grow tent enclosure - with progress photos!

Ivyna J Spyder

5 Year Member
Good question! I did ask my dad, and he said it was fine, since it has such a large footprint.

In this case the weight is distributed over 32 sq ft, vs 10 sq ft for that size aquarium. Think of it more like a waterbed.

It's also right up against the outside wall of the house, so there's more weight bearing capacity there.

Sggatsmit

This looks amazing. Thanks for all the info and responses to others’ questions. I’m getting ready to do this and this thread is very helpful. If you see this message (since it’s been awhile), can you drop a reply to say if you’re still happy with/using the setup?

ToadHallBetty

Wow, I have seen Tegu tents but never with a window added in. It is making me rethink my planned inclosures. Especially since my sewing machine can handle heavy material. Have you thought about gluing and sewing the vinal?

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Hello.

Im considering this for my new tegu but my question is, how did you add a window. All the grow tents I see have a zipped up door that has like a tiny peep hole in it.
You talk about it a little in your first post, but can you maybe go into more detail? I am good when it comes to carpentry, but not at all when it comes to sewing and the like. What material did you use for the window, and where did you get it? As many details as possible please. Thank you.

Sggatsmit

Hello.

Im considering this for my new tegu but my question is, how did you add a window. All the grow tents I see have a zipped up door that has like a tiny peep hole in it.
You talk about it a little in your first post, but can you maybe go into more detail? I am good when it comes to carpentry, but not at all when it comes to sewing and the like. What material did you use for the window, and where did you get it? As many details as possible please. Thank you.
There are a few videos on YouTube with people adding windows. I remember one where the person sewed the window in, which looked the best and would make me feel as though it was likely the most secure/enduring method. But I'm like you, not sure of my sewing skills, and I remember a video where the person used hot glue and gorilla tape. I haven't decided which I'm going to do yet, but the video examples will really help me when I do decide.

merakjinsei

There are a few videos on YouTube with people adding windows. I remember one where the person sewed the window in, which looked the best and would make me feel as though it was likely the most secure/enduring method. But I'm like you, not sure of my sewing skills, and I remember a video where the person used hot glue and gorilla tape. I haven't decided which I'm going to do yet, but the video examples will really help me when I do decide.
I would definitely reccomend sewing it in to help with durability. Get some heavy duty polyester thread and an upholstery needle. Dont be too intimidated by hand sewing, if your stitches are under 1/2 a centimeter ad max you should be ok, tho somewhat closer is obviously better. Running backstich (running stitch with a backstitch every few stitches) is a decently fast and strong choice for this. Watch this video for some simple hand stitching demos with explainations:

MirandaWyatt

Hey, thanks for sharing your grow tent project! Adding a window does sound like a cool idea, and I totally get the concern about sewing skills. Hand sewing can be a bit intimidating, but it's worth trying for added durability. Using heavy-duty thread and an upholstery needle is a smart move, and the running backstitch tip is handy too.While we're talking about durability, if you ever find yourself interested in enclosures or structures for reptiles, especially tortoises, tortoiseowner.com has some excellent resources. They might not cover grow tents, but you never know when their tips could come in handy for other projects.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced