• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

green ameiva

spiz510

5 Year Member
im thinkin bout picking up a green ameiva, its goin to be my first lizard so is there any tips i need?

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah, don't get one. They're all wc. NOBODY breeds them, that I know of. They're very fast moving and want nothing to do with you. You can't handle, or "tame" them. They often come in with very heavy parasite loads and make bad beginner reptiles.

If you really do start out with them, it'll only bring disappointment. You probably want your first lizard to be something you can interact with.

Go with a CBB lizard, such as a beardie, or leo. They make much better beginner lizards than a wc, parasite infested animal . Why don't you explain what you want in a first lizard, so we can help you find a better choice.

Again, I highly reccomend you DO NOT get an amieva, but here's a caresheet written by AB^ of this forum.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://repticzone.com/caresheets/829.html">http://repticzone.com/caresheets/829.html</a><!-- m -->

spiz510

5 Year Member
thank you i relle didnt know about them like that my friend has a black and white tegu and he showed me this it looks cool but didnt relle kno anything about it. I want a lizard thats not to agressive that u can be able to handle. The other lizard i was lookin at was the cuban knight anole. i am interested in tegus to but i think it would be to much for me being my first animal

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I don't think a cuban knight anole is what you're looking for. How about a bearded dragon, Australian water dragon, blue tongue skink, or leopard gecko. All hardy all great pets.

-Chris

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Crested Geckos and Gargoyle Geckos are also great starters. Are you looking at just lizards or would you consider a snake? There are some great beginner snakes as well.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
I hatched a clutch of corn snakes that I found in my backyard in a pile of mulch in august of last year, and since then, I kept the last one hatched of the corns, I bought a Red tailed boa thats 6months old and bought a 6month old argentine tegu, and a emporer scorpion,Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?  Im just saying, the bug bites quick and bites hard in your wallet, whatever you get, make sure you have enough money to adequatly provide for it, and dont have to "skimp" on different Items untill you save up enough money, in 7 months I have spent almost $1000 keeping my facinations and responsabilities fat and happy, mind you they are living well above the poverty line, however I believe that is what they as your captive pets deserve and should get everything they need when they need it, also keep in mind that there are tons of hidden costs that you dont think of right off the batt and dont hesitate to look online for a better deal on an animal, fixture, whatever, most times you if you look online, you can cut your costs in half. Also if i could go back and do it again, since I want a huge snake, i wish i wouldn't have bought a baby boa, when an adult costs $40 more and you dont have the costs of feeding it for 5 years to get it to that size that you want. Think about that also.

AB^

5 Year Member
Mike said:
Yeah, don't get one. They're all wc. NOBODY breeds them, that I know of. They're very fast moving and want nothing to do with you. You can't handle, or "tame" them. They often come in with very heavy parasite loads and make bad beginner reptiles.

If you really do start out with them, it'll only bring disappointment. You probably want your first lizard to be something you can interact with.

Go with a CBB lizard, such as a beardie, or leo. They make much better beginner lizards than a wc, parasite infested animal . Why don't you explain what you want in a first lizard, so we can help you find a better choice.

Again, I highly reccomend you DO NOT get an amieva, but here's a caresheet written by AB^ of this forum.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://repticzone.com/caresheets/829.html">http://repticzone.com/caresheets/829.html</a><!-- m -->

wow that caresheet is old

ZEKE

5 Year Member
yeah it is AB lol. thats the one i read after i got my ameiva.

spiz. do alot of research and i would recomend do not get an ameiva or cuban knight anole. they are both look dont touch lizards. ameivas are hard to keep alive and dont want anything to do with you and knight anoles like to bite you.

i would recommend a crested gecko, leopard gecko, bearded dragon, or blue tongue skink. they are all good mid size lizards that you could handle and are easy to care for.

if you are more interested in bigger lizards, a tegu or a water dragon are good i think.

whatever you get research it alot and make sure you can get proper sized adult cage and everything for it before you get it.

hope this helped some.
~ZEKE~

spiz510

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the info guys. To the poster above about buying animals online i am a little skeptical i have heard they they can get conviscated if they are shipped is this true?

TeguTime

Wow I think I have to disagree on being a poor starter choice. I have two that were wc (no doubt about it, both came in a bag labled 'dos amigos import & export' from a less than reputable source)

I just had my female sabotage her nest, and while that IS a let down I couldn't love their temperament more.

It took two days to tame them (I've had Iguanas that were worse to tame) and now with frequent handling i'm able to walk around with them on my head/shoulders. Let them run around the house. Ive had kids hold them (while holding the base of the tail) and have no problem catching them in their vivarium (the male comes right up)

In my opinion so far (and i'm also a Newbie on teiids) these are the best reptiles i've had outside of A brazilian Rainbow Boa.

If you do plan on getting them here are some tips:
1. DO NOT GET THEM FROM REPTILE CITY.COM (this is where I got my two. they came in a flat rate box,unmarked, after 5 DAYS.
2. SET UP: set yourself up a LARGE enclosure. They need lots of space and are typically ground lizards (so lots of digging substrate)
3. LIGHTS/HUMIDITY: Get your lights/humidity stable BEFORE they arrive. They come from mexico/brazil so typically hot & wet.
4. SPARE TANK: They'll probably be cold when you first get them so set up a spare tank to warm them up BEFORE putting them in your larger setup Reason listed in number 5.
5.CLEAN THEM : because unfortunately Mike was right about parasites. LOTS of mites. This is why you 'll want/need to house them and warm them up in a smaller tank. That way you can clean them up and put them in the bigger, un-infested setup.
6. HANDLE THEM: They were pretty docile when I first got them. The only issue was them not wanting to be picked up. Retaliation bites/scratches/ whips were to be expected but they calm down fast. Tought it out and hold them a few times a day for small amounts of time. (less traumatic than once a day for hours.
7. WATER: Mine have a water dish & small waterfall that I rarely see them drink from (or go near). But as a precaution I spray twice a day, and they drink like madmen from it.
8. DIET: I've found that mine will eat just about anything (they forage in their native habitat and have a scratch here, peck there habit... kind of like chickens :lol:) I give mine plenty of mice for protein (mostly because I raise mice).

All in all I think you'll LOVE Ameivas, I wish Id gotten them sooner. And if your able to provide the food, space, time for them then Id recommend these over most other lizards.

It's hard to do your homework on them since there really isn't much out there. I would say look at what you can provide FIRST. Can you house an enclosure that will give them plenty of room to travel? Can you provide a heat of 80-90? ( have mine at 95 in the day, 88 at night now. Summer will be 100-90. Can you spend time daily to handle them? Can you bear being bit/scartched/whipped trying to tame them? Can you provide a good amount of food? Every other day to every two days? (pinkies, bugs).

gauge what you can care for before you look at what to get ;)

Attachments

• P9064053.JPG
    P9064053.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 186

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029