• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Great example of how live rodents bite tegus.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
And I must add, it is a very pretty tegu.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KINjA9rcUgg">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KINjA9rcUgg</a><!-- m -->

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Yeah, I would never ever feed a hamster. Have you ever been bitten by one? Ugh!!! It's awful! I thought I'd never be able to go to sleep again. Unlike mice, when hamsters feel threatened, they flip on their backs and flare their teeth. Very dangerous animals.

I do find it funny though that people take so much offense to feeding hamsters, but don't get upset about a mouse. What's the difference? Is it because hamsters are more expensive?

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Aww man, that tegu got bitten a number of times. :(
If you're gonna feed a tegu a hamster, at least make sure it is dead first!

ChristopherDayton

5 Year Member
I keep alot of frogs.. so movement is a good thing. and honestly I think fresh is best for the most part. I also have snakes.. and I do feed live but I basically kill the mouse/rat/gerbil first with a good whack on the head. it leaves them kicking but instantly KOd and I think that is the nicest way to do it. I cant see being gassed and frozen any nicer than an instantaneous death.

COWHER

5 Year Member
ChristopherDayton said:
I keep alot of frogs.. so movement is a good thing. and honestly I think fresh is best for the most part. I also have snakes.. and I do feed live but I basically kill the mouse/rat/gerbil first with a good whack on the head. it leaves them kicking but instantly KOd and I think that is the nicest way to do it. I cant see being gassed and frozen any nicer than an instantaneous death.
i think the part that would suck is if you missed the table for some reason and just bashed it in the face lol that would suck

ZEKE

5 Year Member
i feel bad for the tegu :( it got bit allot.
i also feel a little bit bad for the hamster because i bet that hurt allot.

my friends snake got killed by a rat. the snake didnt eat the rat right away and my friend left it in the cage with the snake over night. the rat bit the snake really badly and it got infected and died. the rat never did get eaten. im not sure what he did with the rat lol.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I hate to say it. But I've always been a live feeder . But since I got these Albinos. LOL I give them a thump before they go in. I started doing it with my black throats too. I realized something. They can eat a feeder much larger than one they can kill. So they get more to eat if you konk them before you give them too them. It's weird droping a chunk of change for a reptile makes you rethink things . LOL I have seen the light. LOL

eddiezahra

5 Year Member
i love how he made two videos of live feeding with serenading music.... kinda strange. i hate how ppl advertise this over the web cuz it does give us good keepers bad names. also it looks like a chacoan if im not mistaken... when u check out the video.. on the right side there is "tegu eating rat" by same "emanthewee".

ZEKE

5 Year Member
in the second vid that eddiesahra pointed out it looks like that poor tegu is on sand!! i feel bad for that tegu. the owner seems to just like to watch it kill stuff. he doesnt care about whats best for the tegu.

ChristopherDayton

5 Year Member
as for missing the table.. if they have a tail I wont miss.. the other way is to put them in a bag and wialt he bag off the table or door jamb. alot of people cant do that to the cute little rodents.. but oh well.. honestly I think rat pups are the sweetest looking little babies.. but it doesnt make me hesitate when its time to feed the fat frogs

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ChristopherDayton said:
as for missing the table.. if they have a tail I wont miss.. the other way is to put them in a bag and wialt he bag off the table or door jamb. alot of people cant do that to the cute little rodents.. but oh well.. honestly I think rat pups are the sweetest looking little babies.. but it doesnt make me hesitate when its time to feed the fat frogs

I agree. They are cute little things...infact I used to own a pet rat...or maybe it was a mouse...anyway, I owned one when I was younger, but I don't hesitate when feeding my girl (gorgeous ball python.) I also used to feed live when I was younger...then I started prekilling/stunning. Now, since my ball python has been trained to eat dead rats (my previous snake wouldn't eat thawed), I only feed her frozen rats. (obviously I thaw them out)
That way, I can avoid parasites, etc.

ChristopherDayton

5 Year Member
parasites are a definite reason to freeze. my BP gets the gerbils cause it seems to really like them and they are a good medium size :) and hey cant go wrong with the natural prey ;)

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
ChristopherDayton said:
parasites are a definite reason to freeze. my BP gets the gerbils cause it seems to really like them and they are a good medium size :) and hey cant go wrong with the natural prey ;)
Here is a question I have. I'm glad you brought this up. If you raise your own feeders and keep them clean and parasite free. Should you not have to worry about that. Or are you meaning another kind of parasite. I'm just curious. I am really begining to rethink this live feeding. I have learned some interesting things since I stopped doing it. My monitors don't rush you to get to the food now. They eat bigger prey cause I don't have to worry about it hurting them. But the freezing thing still puzzles me. Could you explain more about why you do it. My snakes are getting the same benefits and it is really making me rethink my whole idea about things.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That Tegu didnt seem to be hurt after....I raise my own Feeder rats..and feed live.. Iv tried feeding my snakes Freshly killed many times.. But they still wont take them..And as for my Tegus, When they wake up.. im gonna try to start feeding Freshly killed rats...I will never feed Frozen cause i hate the smell of them when you have to thaw them out.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Wes: Monitors are the garbage disposals of the animal world. I mean these guys eat food that has been rotting for days and have no health complications as a result. I would not worry about your black throats. Most cases of food related death and impaction are caused by poor husbandry, not because the animals are naturally incapable of handling them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan