• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Goliath bird eating spider

throneofjade

5 Year Member
I have a goliath bird eating spider who doesn't seem to want to eat. It has been a month or so since she has eaten. I'm sure she has to molt, but hasn't yet. Any ideas on what I can do? Thanks.

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
first of all, congrats on the T. blondi. I have wanted one for a long time. As for the not eating part. I wouldn't sweat it. Like you said it's probably about to molt. Just mist the enclosure lightly every few days to help with the molt and it should be ok. They can go a long time without eating. It isn't losing abdomen mass is it?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's not uncommon for T. blondi to fast for several months at a time especially with a molt coming. Like red earth said, so long as the abdomen isn't shrinking and looks good don't fret. I remember a few years ago taking a G. rosea from a guy who didn't want her anymore, he hadn't fed her in like 7 months.. she looked fine tho and started eating for me a few weeks later. How are those urticating hairs treating you I'm curious to know? Little brachys' hairs irritate the heck outta me, I'd probably go into shock if I got some T. blondi, lol. Post some pics if you can, I love spiders:)

cornking4

5 Year Member
haha I hear ya man. I love spiders and scorps especially... My mom's hilarious though. She let me get (and handle) a venomous bark scorpion, but was afraid of having an innocent little corn snake in the house. So I keep the serps at my dads. lol.

throneofjade

5 Year Member
spidey.jpg

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
Not an arachnid person but just curious is that thing a good pet in that you can handle it or will it bite, and if such how harmful to you would that be.

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
if you can't handle her then what's the point, i'm just curious 'cause all my animals are played with every day, i couldn't stand owning an animal that just sat there and looked pretty but i guess to each his own.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, I like fish too but you can't hold them :-D .. Some spiders are ok with behind held, alot aren't.. If you want a big spider that you can handle check out L. parahybana, I have a couple and besides flicking hairs when startled handle nicely.. Nice T tho Throne, I'm envious :)

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
mikecrowder23 said:
if you can't handle her then what's the point, i'm just curious 'cause all my animals are played with every day, i couldn't stand owning an animal that just sat there and looked pretty but i guess to each his own.

'cause their freakin' cool! all of my tarantulas i can handle except my p. murinus. i also have a l. quinquestriatus (death stalker) scorpion that is super cool to look at but it being the 1'st or 2nd most venomous scorpion on the planet you better believe i only look!

throneofjade

5 Year Member
Thanks. I got her at a reptile expo. The guy who I got her from offered to lend me his male so I could breed her, still thinking about that one.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That'd be awesome if you could get a viable sac.. Most T. blondi up for sale are wild caught, it seems the females just love molting after the hookup :(

throneofjade

5 Year Member
Well she finally molted. Man I am amazed at how long her fangs are. She is in the drying stage so she looks dark black. Beautiful. I'm sure she is looking forward to Friday!!! Feeding day. =)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.