• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Giant tegu

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are no drawbacks that I know of if they are not hibernated, except breeding. However, I have never kept younger tegus out of hibernation to study the results. I am going by what I have heard from many long term keepers.

As for holding him, he was a wild caught adult, it took a long time to be able to hold him like this. He would rather not be picked up, but done very well for the pictures.

I will say, the offspring seem to be some of the best as far as being handled, but they were started young.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They can eat a good bit, a jumbo rat, young chicken, about 1/2 lb of ground turkey, and beef liver.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Man that thing is a brute. He Dwarf's the one a buddy of mine has. I thought it was huge. That dude is unreal. You've really got something special there. I bet that guy is stout as a bulldozer. I don't know if Im more surprised at the size of that Tegu. Or the long curly hair on his owner holding him. Looks like I'm not the only Hippie on the forums. LOL

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
Man that thing is a brute. He Dwarf's the one a buddy of mine has. I thought it was huge. That dude is unreal. You've really got something special there. I bet that guy is stout as a bulldozer. I don't know if Im more surprised at the size of that Tegu. Or the long curly hair on his owner holding him. Looks like I'm not the only Hippie on the forums. LOL

Meh, you should have seen mine before I went to military school. When it was wet, you couldn't see any of my face, and when dry, it shot out in loose curls sometimes up to six inches in different directions. It was basically like someone had simply stuck 3 different wigs on my head on top of eachother....too bad it doesn't seem to want to grow back in all the way....

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I've been keeping mine cut a little more. But I get a hair cut about 2 times a year. I hate shaving and hair cuts. There aren't any women that are fine cutting hair any more. Around here where I'm from. If some womans breast are going to rub the back of my head. I want it to be a beautiul woman attached to them. LOL The ones that do around here are Big Sweat Hoggs and I am in protest. The men want to give you a GI and make fun of you if you have long hair. I say Pi$$ on those types. Nothing wrong with a grown man with long hair as far as I am concerned. I think next time I get a hair cut. I'm going to wait until they have to cut the Shite stained part off. Where my hair stays around my A$$. LOL

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
I've been keeping mine cut a little more. But I get a hair cut about 2 times a year. I hate shaving and hair cuts. There aren't any women that are fine cutting hair any more. Around here where I'm from. If some womans breast are going to rub the back of my head. I want it to be a beautiul woman attached to them. LOL The ones that do around here are Big Sweat Hoggs and I am in protest. The men want to give you a GI and make fun of you if you have long hair. I say Pi$$ on those types. Nothing wrong with a grown man with long hair as far as I am concerned. I think next time I get a hair cut. I'm going to wait until they have to cut the Shite stained part off. Where my hair stays around my A$$. LOL

Amen, brother. I haven't had my hair cut since I got out of that god-forsaken Army/Navy academy. I MAY have to get it trimmed, as it is growing in quite unevenly.

edit: I also stopped shaving....just for fun. Sort of like a last laugh kind of thing. I had to shave sometimes twice-a-day at the academy...often just because one of the higher-up's military wife thought that she saw a stray stubble that I missed.

On another note:

Please do try to limit the swearing, as well as being just a 'lil careful about the content of what you say, as this IS a family-safe forum. We have some very young users in here. I have personally talked to a 12 year old member, and I believe that we have several that are even younger than that.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
That's why I think forums should be separate. Kids need their own forum with adults watching over them. There also needs to be a thing that shows the age of each member. That way people can see when kids are on threads. I really honestly didn't think about it when I posted. I don't choose my words when I speak to my kids. But I guess everyone isn't like me. If I offended any one I apologize. I'm not used to having to worry about kids online.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm with you Harvey but if we make the forum adults only... we have to confirm the age... which is typically done with a credit card #... and if I had to give up my CC # to join a forum I'd never join... even if they promised not to charge me anything... Today's way of doing things demands enough of our personal information to be in the hands of strangers...

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Toby_H said:
I'm with you Harvey but if we make the forum adults only... we have to confirm the age... which is typically done with a credit card #... and if I had to give up my CC # to join a forum I'd never join... even if they promised not to charge me anything... Today's way of doing things demands enough of our personal information to be in the hands of strangers...

Dang, there goes my plan!!!

Just kidding!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Yes I understand your point. But How else are we going to Protect the world from Me. LOL LOL Wait a minute. I already know. Maybe that's what keeps getting me kicked off these forums lately. LOL LOL All this time . I thought it was just them. Wow I must really be a bad influence. I will do my best to change. But I draw the line at baby talk on the interent. LOL

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Everyone keeps asking how big my tegus get so I figured I would bump this thread so they can find it easier.

mschuld

5 Year Member
If they weren't so friendly I'd be afraid these giants might take over the world! (Not that it would be a bad thing). Nice work Bobby!

jim_m

5 Year Member
Holy crap, being new to the forums I never got a chance to see that sexy beast. That is a gorgeous tegu. Now i see what I have to look forward to as a tegu owner. LOL he looks big enough to eat my 2 year old son.

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
OMG,, that is crazy.. your tegu is soo big.. i cant wait for mine to get half that big!! How long does it take? 3, 4 years??? Hes a beauty :)

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for the kind comments!! :)

As for how long, it depends on a few things, if they hibernate, good nutrition and sex of the animal. But yes, about three years. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam