• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

getting an ornate monitor

CrankbaitJedi

Sulfur water monitor... that is one BA lizard. That is the animal that actually began my sickness way back. I found pics on CyberSalvator and I was never the same again...

Alas, the only thing bigger than a sulfur water... is their price tag.

D'oh!!!!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Albino water monitors are even better. I would really like a black dragon as well.

Just to clarify something as well, Ornates and Niles are two different species of Varanid.

hoosier

5 Year Member
CrankbaitJedi said:
Sulfur water monitor... that is one BA lizard. That is the animal that actually began my sickness way back. I found pics on CyberSalvator and I was never the same again...

Alas, the only thing bigger than a sulfur water... is their price tag.

D'oh!!!!

hahaha i agree and thats how i started! that and pics i saw on varanus.nl. wickedly expensive. i really dont like albino anything really. its cruel to do to a basking lizard. V.salvadorii will straight tear you apart just by trying to climb. those claws are katanas. saw pics of a guy that got tore up just by his climbing up him...
my favorite quote has to be from proexotics: keep em hot and feed em alot lol

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yep I saw a Sulfur (Wc of course) back when my old man was getting me my first pet from the local reptile store. I loved my turtles but i really just wanted to go back and see that lizard. He was just amazing! I am the same way about albinosas hoosier, i got a albino blue tegu a few years back and man never doing that again.

I got to be happy with my tegu and caiman lizard for now, who knows what could come up in a year or two?

hoosier

5 Year Member
i used to think the albino gene was cool until common sense kicked in and was like" how do the get way from the sun when they need it to thermoregulate?" lol there is a reason you do not see many if any albinos in the wild. sulfers are sick. i love them but their is a debate on if they are a morph or a new subspecies. no one will really ever know though because the natural range and population is a tightly gaurded secret that i doubt will ever be reveiled

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hoosier said:
i used to think the albino gene was cool until common sense kicked in and was like" how do the get way from the sun when they need it to thermoregulate?" lol there is a reason you do not see many if any albinos in the wild. sulfers are sick. i love them but their is a debate on if they are a morph or a new subspecies. no one will really ever know though because the natural range and population is a tightly gaurded secret that i doubt will ever be reveiled

The albinos at NERD have no problems basking and thermoregulating.

hoosier

5 Year Member
im really just not sure what the long term effects of albinism in a basking lizard. i have no problem with people who breed them (even though i laugh at the money they want just for a possible het) but they just are not for me. i could not in good conscious keep one but thats on me. not a reflection on keepers who do.

herpgirl2510

The alinos at NERD are beautiful they are not as translucent as when they are babies. When I saw them they were jsut hanging around The temps and basking sites were the same as the regular water monitors. I just could not imagine having a lizard that gets bigger than a water monitor and the personality of a nile monitor.

There is a reason Nile monitors are not as pricey. They are nasty!!! And I say that with a lot of respect. Once people get em home and they get tail whipped and shat on daily, the animal all of a sudden just doesn't have as much appeal. They should only be kept very experienced keepers who know that an animal like that has the potential to attack and injure or kill you. I know people think it is too cool to have a bad ass lizard like that so they get one and have no idea what they are getting into

Read more: http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=9110&page=2#ixzz1U3THI8pR
That is a perfect statement that sums it up.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What lizard are you talking about that gets bigger than a water and has a personality of a Nile?

Niles are cheap for the same reason Savs are cheap, thousands are imported yearly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980