• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

general rules for taming a Black and White arg.?

kurtle55

5 Year Member
Still not sure about buying her yet (i want to be positive). I want to make sure that she is the lizard for me.

How often should i handle a female arg. B&W to tame her?

How long does it take to tame a female arg. B&W

How do you leash train them and how long does it take?

Once they are tame, would you say they tolerate handling or they enjoy being handled?

I really appreciate the feedback.

Chelsea M.

5 Year Member
i handled mine about twice a day for 20 to 30 minutes

she pretty much wasn't the hypertype to begin with so taming wasn't too bad but if she whips her tail don't grab it! tegu's tail could fall off as a defense so everytime i put mine away i let her tail slide through my hand as i put her back so she'll get used to it being touched

for the leash training it didn't take too long for mine to get used to it. Sometimes it will take a while to get it on but don't keep it on too long it she tries to thrash around. When you get a leash it should be one that she wouldn't be able to slide out of easily. (don't know what its called but it is a thick leather-like fabric that has 2 holes for the legs with a long rope.)

I beleive they enjoy being handled once you give them the chance to know you so make sure you hold her.

Other Notes:
Some tegus, like mine, tend to go through a growth spurt so dont worry if you get a leash too big because she may grow quickly to fit it.
Tegus Claws can get very sharp! You would either have to deal with is (which is what i do) or you could take her to a vet who knows a lot about lizards and watch how they would do it so you could be confident yourself to do the task.

~msg me if you have any further Q's~ =3

Schnab

5 Year Member
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?t=21</a><!-- l -->

This here's a link on how to tame.

Just be patient. Depending on the age, it could take some time. The best way to get her familiar to you is to leave some freshly worn clothing in the enclosure. It'l make it easier for when it comes to introducing your hand.

Also, spend alot of time near the enclosure and let the tegu inspect you. That way she'll see you are no danger.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
like schnab said the clothing idea works most of the time, but what i would do is open the cage after u let it settle in its new home for a few days and just let your hand dangle in the cage, out of reach of the tegu and not really even close to her for that matter, just let it see your hand and just let it stay there for a few min and then u can slowly reach over a pet it, once u get confidence to pick it up dont literally grab it and pick it up let your hand ease under it and support its legs, try to avoid picking it up high above the ground at first. they learn from repitition and are very very nice reptiles compared to others, they are very smart and learn very quick...great lizards and honestly dont take much time, atleast mine didnt, i just give it lots of time because i enjoy it very much. but handling daily is best and once they are tame, you asked about toleration or if they enjoy it, i say they like human contact from my experience but they vary from tegu to tegu.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029