• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Fruitflies?

reptileszz

5 Year Member
Hi all, does anyone know how to get rid of what I think are fruitflies in cypress bedding? Getting rid of the cypress would seem to be the logical choice but it is very new cypress. I think the fruitflies started across the room in my redfoot's cage because of the fruit and veggie material that gets left out daily (cleaned up nightly but they still magically appeared about a month ago). Now it seems that Jasper the Tegu has a fruit fly breeding project going on in his cage. There is no fruit in there and the cypress is clean. I assume that the nice warm, moist cypress is just a nice breeding ground for the stupid flies but how can I get rid of them without throwing out perfectly good mulch? Or do I have to bite the bullet and throw out what amounts to about $20 in mulch? :roll:

Thanks,
Carole & Jasper

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've heard you could spray it with Provent-A-Mite. Or you could make a Fruit Fly trap. Put a bowl of apple cider vinegar on top of the cage with a couple of drops of dish washing soap mixed in. The soap increases the surface tension and the flies can't escape.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Just got to Wal Mart and buy the Nix or off brand Nix. It will kill the fruit flies. Just take the tegu out first. Let the fog die down and dry then put him back in. Fruit flies are as hard to get rid of as mites.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan